use of colored card

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by papertrain, Mar 14, 2007.

1. papertrain

papertrain Member

In working with my project I am useing colored card and when I get it ready to post for others I would like to specify using colored card for a lot of the parts. There are 2 reasons for this, the first is that is does not have a white edge after it is in place and secondly is has a clear color. It is a good solid color that looks better on the model when it is done. I was wondering what others think about this approach.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Well, I think it is a good idea

the designers who put out those SD Gundams, designed those to be printed on colored paper, only one sheet is colored by the designer, all others need to be printed on colored paper.

Chip, from Fiddler's Green, even suggests using tan or cream colored stock for use in his vintage aircraft, to simulate the texture and color of the linen wing covering

I have used the same cream/tan stock to print a white car model(Dakar themed) to simulate a dusty car, printed up really nicely. just couldn't see the score lines very well.

I will try it with other cars to see if it is a workable technique

3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Awesome idea!!! It is good to see more people using more than 10% of their brain! lol
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It is a good idea................but one problem I might see, is that everybody may not have access to the same paper/color you specified for your model.

Recently with the thread about what weight paper do you use, it was obvious that paper weight and kinds was not a common thing in this world of ours.

I'm not trying to be nick-picky, but with the global access we have in our hobby, it might alienate people if you specify something for a model that not everybody will have access too.

Just a thought...................

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

That might be true, but you can always adapt, I have been toying with the idea of using different browns and tans for a Gundam build, for a desert environment, kinda like 3 color desert camo which the military has

I will have to see which Gundam I want to do that too

6. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I have been using coloured paper for some time. Particularly for scratch builds of instructional cutaways of naval weapons systems. The results have been pretty good. Micheal's and most online paper suppliers carry great varietys and mixed theme packs.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I have tried those from Michaels..........the pastels do work pretty good. Also Wal-Mart has a colored sheet selection of the 110# GP cardstock.

Colored sheets do have there merits........... Rick I for one would love to see the Gundam when you get it camo'ed.

I was just thinking of those places that have a hard time of finding simple cardstock.
  8. papertrain

papertrain Member

I was hoping that basic black would be available for most places...i probably could also send the right colors if someone had a hard time finding what i think is right,,,,,I am just trying to end up with the nicest model possible from what is available.....about the cam'ed stock,,,,,scrapbook shops have that in 12x12 sheets in several flavors and it is a smallish pattern...sometimes on a card but if not you could overlay it on a tan card and use it like that.
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

PT, i have seen that, might want to use that too, just to make a different thing, maybe the Shield or so

I guess I visit the local Micheals after work
  10. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Of course you could always issue your model in two forms. The first would be uncolored so that it could be printed on colored paper (on on white paper and the builder could hand color). The second could be one with all the colors so the builder just had to print with a color printer on white paper.

Just a thought.

11. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Is this what you had in mind? Nu-Gundam, not Hi-Nu.

It seems most of the cool como mecha are Zeon forces (bad guys), but I think you can camo any of them and they will look good :)

12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

yeah, but substituting the browns and tans for the regular colors

but this does help the selection process

13. papertrain

papertrain Member

:roll: Tex....that would not be that hard to do that is for sure,:grin: it very well could work..
  14. silverw

silverw Member

15. papertrain

papertrain Member

Since the finished model is black and dark green with some white on the wheel i feel that it would be a natural to do with colored paper instead of printed color. There would be 3 different colored card to deal with. All of it is available either at Wal Mart or Micheals (other places too I am sure).
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The only problem I would forsee is that using colored cardstock will slightly change the color of the final print. At least that has been the case for me. You might have to change the original print color to get it to come out just right if you are fussy about that kind of thing. I do use colored cardstock for some models and it works all right depending on the subject.