US Army power

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by BDC, Jan 29, 2002.

1. BDC

BDC Member

Just some older photos of diesel switchers used by the guys in green.

Attached Files:

2. BDC

BDC Member

more...

Attached Files:

3. BDC

BDC Member

continuing...

Attached Files:

4. BDC

BDC Member

another one...

I believe that's an Alaska train behind it. Don't know why, but it looks good.

Attached Files:

5. BDC

BDC Member

voila...

Attached Files:

6. BDC

BDC Member

OK, so it's not Government Issued, but I just love those Centennials. 2 DD40s and a DD35 (world's largest B-engine) to boot. That's over 15,000 HP in three locos. Not bad for pre-AC days.
    --
    I should note that when I cropped this photo to make it smaller, I cut out the copyright. The photo belongs to Charlie Lange at Mountainwestrails.com and it was taken in 1972.

Attached Files:

• up.jpg
      up.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  7. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Great pictures! That's the first time I've seen a pic of a DD40 in action.

What does "pre-AC" mean? What's "AC?"

-Rory
  8. BDC

BDC Member

AC refers to the AC traction motors inside the engine. Diesels started out with generators (DC) and DC electrical motors inside. Later on, the RRs found that AC alternators were less maintenance-intensive than the generators. Eventually, they also went to AC motors spinning the wheels, whereas they had rectifiers to turn AC current into DC.

The DD40s run at about 6600 HP (they are straight DC) and it wasn't until the mid-90's that AC locos were made that could run 6000 HP. The DD40s have two engines inside that hull putting out 3300 HP each versus the one engine pulling 6000 HP today. The switch to AC made the high-horse one engine locos possible.
  9. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

BDC;

Having spent 20+ years wearing the green suit too, I love the pictures of all that green motive power. Having worked for the UPRR for a summer while trying to become educated I also enjoy the UPRR picture. The summer I worked for the UP in the Omaha yards was during the hay days of the gas turbine engines .......talk about POWER:)

Bob
  10. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Thanks for the info! Until now I had assumed that they had always used AC. Ya learn something new every day!

-Rory
  11. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Here's a modeling challenge if you like military railroads.....

In about 1949 (I was a teenager) I spent a few days in Tillamook, Oregon. There was an old WWII blimp base there, still used by the Army -- but no blimps. They had an army "six-by" truck rigged with flanged wheels that they used for moving boxcars around on base. As I recall, it actually had flanged wheels replacing the standard wheels and tires, and had couplers front and rear. Otherwise still looked like a standard GI truck. I talked my way into a cab ride, and had a fun morning in the process. It pulled a single box car around pretty easily -- in low gears.

Haven't seen such a thing modeled.

Bill