UPRR Bailey Yard

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by roryglasgow, Oct 4, 2001.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I'm doing some research on Union Pacific for a layout idea I have, and I was looking at their page on Bailey Yard. Has anyone ever considered (or do you know of someone who has) modelling it? It is simply gargantuan!!! I suppose, if you're just into switching, it could keep several people busy for a long time. Check out the schematic!

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/bailey/

-Rory
  2. billk

billk Active Member

Rory - And you're going to model it where? Is the Cotton Bowl available?
    My sister lives in a small town near North Platte (Paxton) and I've taken the opportunity to go to Bailey several times - it is truly awe-inspiring! My brother-in-law used to work for the UP so I even got an up close and personal tour once.
    Last time I was back there they had plans on building an observation tower, called the Golden Spike, I think. North Platte is on I-80, in the far western part of the state, if anyone's going that way it would sure make a nice break.
    BillK
  3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

layout

That is one doozie of a yard! Any pics you know of that have been taken from outer space? Must be able to see it from the moon!
  4. billk

billk Active Member

5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

space piccy

Kewl site and pics. Is your place on that pic?
  6. billk

billk Active Member

7. roryglasgow

Cool image, Bill! I was using Terraserver yesterday to see the layouts of some yards long a section of UP mainline I've been thinking about modelling.

In a nutshell, the idea is this: model the stretch between Taylor, TX and Hearne, TX. Taylor is a major agricultural town. It has a small yard with a wye. Moving towards Hearne (along U.S. 79), are Thrall and Thorndale. Both are also ag towns, too, but they're are a lot smaller.

Continuing down the line is Rockdale. Just before reaching Rockdale, the UP mainline meets up with the Rockdale, Sandow and Southern Railroad. The RS&S was originally created to service a lignite mine, but the mine failed. Later, Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) bought it and now uses it to ship their products (aluminum ingots and powders).

Hearne is at a crossroads. There is a yard on the "other" line, but I was thinking of maybe making it part of "my" line. Also, there is a car servicing facility there that would make a nifty staging area!

This line was formerly owned by Missouri Pacific. It crosses over four other mainlines in this stretch (including the BNSF). Valley Junction, a few miles to the west of Hearne, is in the middle of another farming region. There is a silo right at the crossing!

Most of the traffic is intermodal, autos and some kind of ore/gravel. I don't know if there is much going on locally. I still have a lot of research to do!

It will be a long while before I start working on this layout (if I do it at all). It's going to require a lot more space and funds than I have available right now!

-Rory
  8. wiskrbiscu

wiskrbiscu New Member

That yard is huge. The cotton Bowl? Nah I think New Jersey would be about right for doing it? Really website too. I really good like the aerial photo graph site. Found my parents house.

I think if one were to model that yard, it'd have to be in either N or Z scale unless you have and empty warehouse around.:rolleyes:

Jody:D
  9. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

not there!

Damn.... Sydney is not there! I am at lat -33.90068 long 151.17381 Dunno why it lets you put in these co-ordinates, and for the southern hemisphere. The maps available are US only. Don't forget I am upside down (well right side up to me!) on the other side of the world!:cool:
  10. roryglasgow

Woodie,

Give them some time. They've added a LOT in the past few years. And most of the photos were actually made by the United States Geological Survey. Last I heard, Australia wasn't a U.S. state! :D

-Rory
  11. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

51st State

Rory,

Make us an offer! There is only 18,000,000 of us! $1,000,000 US each, and it's yours! Price would come in somewhere about the size of George W's trillion $ tax cuts + a cupple of annual defence budgets! Monthly instalments over 5 years will be fine! SHould I plan my $1,000,000 layout??? :eek: