Updated Tortoise Wiring Plan

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by msh, Oct 17, 2002.

1. msh

msh Member

In case some are wondering about a good way to hook up your new turnout motors, I've updated my plan specific to the Tortoise and added a cool way to keep the wiring permanent yet easily disconnected without redoing all your soldering! Here's where it is:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Great idea msh. I get all my networking stuff at Computergate . I wouldn't buy anything that you might have to return, like a monitor or something expensive, unless you speak chinese :eek: But they have the best overall prices I've seen on networking hardware. Also use mwave.com which I would order anything from.
  3. msh

msh Member

what - no one here beside jon (and me) loves my idea? Huh?
    now I know how a mom might feel after cooking all day and no one eats it.

someone get me a tissue please. [sniff] :p
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Bonkyrail,
    I like the CAT-5 idea.
    I would probably use the Plug-in board adapters with the Tortoise, so the cables could be made up entirely on the bench.
    I would use only one resistor for the LED's, as only one illuminates at a time.
    How about including the internal wiring schematic for the Tortoise on your diagram, so we can really see what's happening in there?? :D :D

From Olive Branch,
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

OK msh, if you'll feel better, I'll have a second helping of Cat 5 :)
  6. msh

msh Member

Thanks Jon. Don't stuff yourself and leave room for dessert.

cid - I did all the wiring of the CAT5 to the Torti pins at the bench, or in my case, the desk. Each was then hung on the wall out of the way until I needed them for install under the table, after which I mounted them under the turnout, snaked the CAT5 through the table to the jack, cut it to length and crimped on the end, which then got plugged into the jack that was wired to the guts.

Of course, I was fortunate enough to not have had these bad boys already installed and hard wired. I couldn't imagine sitting cross legged on the floor soldering with my arms in the air - that would suck!

I don't know that you can get away with a single resistor since the tortoise is expecting power for two, but if it works why not?

A diagram of the tortoise itself, eh? I assume you mean which pin does what? Okay - I'll do that... thanks for the suggestion.
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

mmmmmmm whats fer desert? I'm still hungry even after 2nds. But I do have a wire strand cought b'twenks me theeth. Got any mental floss?
  8. Chessie

Chessie Member

Just because we did not reply does not mean we did not go look.
    Good work and a good idea. Do you have any pictures of the finished work on the layout?

9. msh

msh Member

chessie, no I don't have any pictures of the finished work since it's not finished.

Time isn't always available to work on the trains between work, home & family time, and the hobbies.

When it's done, or I've reached a point of showing what I've got so far, rest assured the proclamation shall be made!
  10. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I like your schemetic. It looks like something I would have drawn back in the 60's exept with different connectors as we didn't have the 45's then.
  11. msh

msh Member

Thanks Clerk. I was 10 in '66, and while I was playing with trains a very little bit, I think I spent most of my time pretending to be the Man From U.N.C.L.E. (open channel "D")