Update on my "N" track modules

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Love rainy days, get to work on my modules. Made some castings using the molds I made from the rock I borrowed. Started added the rock outcroppings to the left module, this one will be heavily forested and the right one will be an example of early day clear cut. (Still casting my roots and stumps) I work the casting into the foam with a stuff called "sculptamold". Great stuff that can be found at most craft stores. I mix the stuff up to the consistancy of cottage cheeze and mortor it on the back of my casting that I've naturally dampened first. The sculpy that oozes out can be easily formed to add more detail to the casting.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 202

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Looks good, Bill! :thumb: :thumb: If it's Springfield, Mass., there's a chance I might see you there. Most of the vendors at Trainfest had all good to say about that show. We may skip the "National" in Detroit, and do the Springfield. Discussion is ongoing.
Pete

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi Andrew, the mine entrance is made from styrene strips. Going to name the mine "NOTURES - MINE".

Hi Pete, I will be at Springfield for the entire weekend but I do not think I will be bringing any modules with me this year. These two are months away from completion and I will never have them done in time.

Did a little more to the left module today, between chores and watching Granddaughter, she had a half day of school. Shucks, thought when I retired I would have all the time I needed, I'm not complaining mind you.

The top of the tunnel has to be removable to hookup the mountain division tracks during setup and also to rescue derailments.

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 158

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Been modifying and making up pine trees from the Heyki bottlebrush cheepoo's and putting them onto the Woodland Scenics pine armatures. One hundred down, two hundred more to go!

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 155

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Got to love rainy days and Mondays. Lots of time to work on my modules. I first make cutouts of the areas I have available to place my structures and scenery. I think on this dead end spur I will put my base camp for the lumber company.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Placed them on the module to get some idea of how many more I will need. Lots if other stuff to build, chow hall, privies, tool sheds, wash shed and my list goes on an on.

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 114

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks Berra and Andy for the kind comments. Andy the cabins are scratch built using modified casting I made from one section of a SYLVAN cabin kit and the rest is .04" Board and Batten shet styrene. The .075" spacing of the styrene matched the cabin front casting from the SYLVAN kit almost perfectly. I used TICHY work car windows in one cabin side and back. I forgot where the original came from that I used to made the mold to cast the roof parts.

The pine trees are HEKI, the bottle brush box of 100 trees for $15.00. I mounted them to WOODLAND scenics pine tree armatures. I then dunked the entire tree into matt medium and sprinkled on several different dark green shades of WOODLAND SCENICS fine ground foam. I thought I posted a "How To" on that - can't seem to find it, maybe I didn't.

Here is a picture of the chow hall under construction. Think I will add some details on the interior and leave the front door wide open. Ignore the half roof sections sticking out of the cabins, have to paint the interiors black before I glue them on.

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 77
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 77