Update: My logging Point - Point layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by UPJunkie, Jan 24, 2005.

1. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

well here is my logging Point - Point layout This will be about sholder hight and 1 ft wide (or smaller) There will be some logging buildings on the layout and more trees let me know what you think

2. seanm

seanm Member

Looks good.... don't logging roads usually run a route that is usually full of turns and twists? This looks like a arrow strait run on three sides. I like the narrow shelf idea!

Is the road hauling trees from one location to another or a river or???
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

It looks like there are some nice long straight runs but I must agree, logging roads are typically in the mountains and more twisty-turny.

Also, where are the industries located? I assume there would be a logging camp with a couple of spurs, a lumber mill, log pond and/or interchange area on a logging layout, but I don't see any part of this layout which features such things--maybe they're not there yet.

It does look like a very cool basic point-to-point, though--lots of nice smooth running room. It's kind of hard to judge scale--are the little marks against the wall 1' or 2' wide? It would seem that you have either 12" radius curves in the corners (if 1') or a 24" turntable...is this HO or N?
  4. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

this is my first look at what i have to work with. You guys are right about the logging roads. I may change the long stright on the left with some track going around some Mts and going across a creek or river. I havent made up my mind where the logging mill and other buildings are going to go. I will work on this some more tonight and do some changing to it. If this was your plan would you have 2 turntables? BTW this is HO scale and most of the buildings, and 2-3 bridges will be hand made. The little lines is 1 ft by scale. The curves will be at least 18"

This is my first time messing around with XtrkCad.
  5. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

I think i got it now I have been messing around and i am starting to like this one better but it is still in planning. The pic is large so here is a link to the layout let me know what you all think

BULL'S Logging
  6. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Junkie, I like the plan, but most of your benchwork looks to be 6" wide? Two tracks will take up 4" min. so there's 1" left for scenery/blending to the backdrop on each side? Weren't you going to have a 12" shelf? I've been working with a 12" shelf and it's hard to make two tracks "fit" without them being straight.