UP Line up passing through

Herc Driver

The Transportation Museum rolled out a newly restored Southern FP7 this past weekend and lots of power showed up for the event. (With a nod to Deano for the "UP" inspiration:thumb: )

Attachments

• Copy of P8020568.JPG
    Copy of P8020568.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Copy of P8020600.JPG
    Copy of P8020600.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Copy of P8020601.JPG
    Copy of P8020601.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Copy of P8020586.JPG
    Copy of P8020586.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 207

Herc Driver

Southern moving about

Caught this GP50 leading an SD9 past Johnson's curve and some track work being debated while a SD35 rolls past...

Attachments

• Copy of P8020590.JPG
    Copy of P8020590.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Copy of P8020529.JPG
    Copy of P8020529.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 198

UP SD40-2

Herc:wave:, snivel...snivel:cry:...sorry man, looking at the pics of the engines in this thread...:cry:just brings tears of JOY to my eyes!:thumb:tooth1 that SD70 is slap AWESOME!!! I too, have UP SD45 #16:thumb::D. I REALLY like the pair of UP FM CPA16-5's!, did you buy them, or paint them yourself? funny thing about those FM CPA16-5s, UP NEVER HAD ANY, of the FM C-liner series engines;). UP DID HOWEVER, have 13 FM Erie builts:thumb:. i sure think they look NICE, if you did the work, GREAT JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D NICE SHOTS, GREAT MODELING, and AWESOME engines!!!:thumb: THANKS Herc!!:D -Deano

Herc Driver

Very kind words Deano, thank you very much. That Kato SD70 is a good running unit. The SD45 is actually a Bachmann Spectrum that I weathered slightly and changed couplers. Those C-liners were a GIFT from a fellow NScaler at our church. He only and I mean only runs PRR and there was no home for those great units I suppose. I owe him much thanks for getting me back into Nscale again after about 25 years...and his layout is great...plus he's given me engines like those and lots of cars. As for me, I run just about all railroads it seems but am gravitating to Southern as the "home" railway with various other lines running the main line every so often.

Attachments

• Copy of P8020551.JPG
    Copy of P8020551.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Copy of P8020556.JPG
    Copy of P8020556.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Copy of P8020524.JPG
    Copy of P8020524.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 167

Herc Driver

Miles...I'm assuming you mean the Arrowhead Mills bakery building? That building is a Heljan kit (actually it's the "Weekly Herald Print Shop" minus a few parts) that I bought already built at a train show. I weathered it and found a suitable building sign from a cereal box I was about to throw away...seemed to fit well and look right with the structure. I just went through my layout pictures and realized that although that building is just about in every shot, I don't have any of just that building. If you need a picture of that one let me know - it's no trouble at all. The kit has yellow walls and a rust red roof all on a grey concrete looking base.

Herc Driver

Just found some pic's of that building but don't laugh too hard at my layout scenery...that's what it looked like in Dec '05 before I started learning how to do things better from layouts found right here on the-gauge. Of course...I'm still learnin' :thumb:

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0535.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0535.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 166
  • Copy of IMG_0540.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0540.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 161

Herc Driver

The real restored diesel's first run

Here's a shot I found from railpictures.net of the restored FP7 making it's first run down the track at North Carolina Transportation Museum. Boy, looks like they did some fine work. You should see what NS brought to the party...a brand new SD70-2.

Attachments

• Copy of Southern FP7.jpg
    Copy of Southern FP7.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Copy of NS SD70M.jpg
    Copy of NS SD70M.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 150

doctorwayne

Nice pictures, Herc Driver, glad to see that you've figured out the picture posting business.

MilesWestern said:
I like the Mill building in the backround! Who makes the kit, or did you kit bash it?

Here's the same building in HO. Mine, from Revell, also started out as the Weekly Herald. It languished in a box for years, partially broken up, before I finally decided that it would work as the auction building for the Lowbanks stockyards. I added the scratchbuilt office addition at the front, and, of course, the stock pens.

100_5744.jpg

100_5742.jpg

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Herc:wave:, WOW!!, you have a UP passenger train too!!!:thumb: OUTSTANDING!:thumb::D i AM STILL drooling over that SD70;). VERY well done layout!:thumb:, KEEP IT UP!(hey, that could go 2 ways!," keep it up" or "keep it UP";))...sorry, being a UP NUT, i just couldnt help it.tooth1 BTW, GREAT proto pics too! -Deano

MilesWestern

FANTASTIC WAYNE! how did you get the brick color that shade? I would love to know!

Also... FANTASTIC HERC!! I like the mission style treatment you gave yours, NICE! :thumb:

BTW..Can you stuff procure that kit?

cnw1961

Herc, I can’t see anything that makes me laugh, only very nice modeling. Love the nose of your F-unit.

Herc Driver

Doctorwayne - Wow that stock yard building is great!!! How did you get the brick that color?!?!? It is excellent!!! Brick that really looks like brick...what a concept.

Miles - I found the listing for that kit at nscalesupply.com and I believe it was in stock.

Deano - I ran across a recent pic of a "Flag" UP unit pulling an executive string across the country and that gave me a good reason to buy both the diesel and the passenger cars. I really like that armour yellow (is that technically correct?) with a current diesel pulling those passenger cars along.

Those last pictures were from the layout December of last year...a lot of changes to the layout have occured since then. I'll have to take some pics and put them in the gallery of what things look like today.

doctorwayne

Herc Driver and Miles: thanks guys. The auction building was painted with Floquil Reefer Orange. Once the paint had thoroughly hardened, I used a rag over the tip of my finger to apply drywall mud (I use the ready-to-use kind) over all of the brickwork. After that had dried, I used a clean, dry rag to wipe down the entire structure, leaving the dried plaster only in the mortar joints and low-lying areas. A small amount will also be trapped in the rough surface of the flat paint, toning down that bright orange colour a bit. Then, using a soft 1" brush, I applied a thin black wash: no particular formula other than some Polly Scale paint, lots of water, and a couple drops of dish detergent. I put a generous amount at the top of the walls and let it run down, making sure to cover all of the wall surfaces. Don't brush any more than necessary, or you'll remove the "mortar" from between the bricks. I usually have the structure sitting on several sheets of newspaper to soak up the excess wash, and I also use paper towels to ensure that not too much collects around the window sills, or in the joints between the walls and the pilasters: just a touch with the corner of the towel will suck up any excess. You pretty well have to keep at it with the paper towels until the wash is almost dry, as it continues to flow down the walls as long as it's wet. The next day, after everything was completely dry, I airbrushed a little bit of dirt colour all around the lower part of the walls, to represent splashed up soil (no eavestroughs).

Wayne

Herc Driver

Dry wall mix...oh you mean that stuff I've have sitting in my garage?!? (Why didn't I think of that?!?!?)wall1 My hat's off to you doctor...once again, great modeling! That building looks so realistic it's amazing. The colors are spot on! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: BTW...those trees look great too. Was the stock yard scratch built from styrene?