UP Katy Heritage Unit in Yuma AZ

KMInspector

I work as a contract engineer/inspector for a pipeline company and today I was down on the 8 heading east. Just before you get to Yuma there is a section of track all trains wait on to cross the Mission bridge in Yuma, well the second train in line had UP 1988 at the head of a 100 car consist of stack trains, and this one had a pusher at the end of it too. I sort of screwed up on one of the close ups when it was at the road crossing.

Attachments

• P1160053.jpg
    P1160053.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 8
  • P1160054.jpg
    P1160054.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P1160058.jpg
    P1160058.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1160059.jpg
    P1160059.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 16
  • P1160057.jpg
    P1160057.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P1160060.jpg
    P1160060.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 8

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I've always wanted to stop there and get some pictures of those bridges but have never had the time to pull off and make it happen. Seems like we are always burning through on our way to or from San Diego.
When you say you screwed up at the crossing, I hope that doesn't mean you parked on the tracks as the train was coming to take a picture:mrgreen::mrgreen:! J/K... I know what you meant, that's just the first thing that came into my morbid mind.

KMInspector

I have always had the same problem going through Yuma as well, fortunatley this time I was there for work and our pipeline follows the UP right of way so it made it easy to take these shots. Those bridges are right next to the mission down there and I dont know for sure if you have to pay to enter the mission or if you can just park and walk to the bridges or at least near them, I would take a trip just to find out when I have time. Also, Gila Bend offers some pretty good areas for pictures and most of the track is accessesable by foot.

UP SD40-2

KMinspector:wav: , AWESOME SHOTS!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: THANK YOU! for posting them:winki::thumb::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

ezdays

Out AZ way
That span goes back a long way. I spent three years stationed in Yuma back in the 50's. Those bridges were there back then. There wasn't any interstate then, so the only other crossing there was a two-lane highway bridge. I had little interest at that time in what went on there as far as the railroad went.

viperman

At least you got pics of it! The one time I saw the CNW heritage unit I didn't see it coming, never knew about the engine beforehand, and didn't have a camera on me

Uintah Dave

I got some good pics of the WP Heritage unit here in Winnemucca a while back.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 10