Up close and personal with a caboose!

Play-Doh

Well, being a newbie to the world of trains, I finally got my up close and personal experience with a caboose.

I was driving through Kelso WA (the same area I model) and out of the corner of my eye I saw a caboose on the side track. I pulled the car into an alley and made my way up to the track.

And there sat an old Burlington Northern. Sadly my digital wouldnt work (again! :curse: ) but I had my camera phone

kaboose2.jpg

caboose2.jpg

I know its illegal...but...well, I couldnt help myself. I wanted to get on this caboose and at least be able to tell my children I once was aboard. I didnt go in, but I snapped this pic though the window...looks like it was stripped out

kaboos3.jpg

Just thought id share!

TJ

Gary S.

I had a similar experience down here in Texas. Was driving through an industrial park checking out the buildings, spurs, and train cars, and there on an abandoned team track(?) set a Santa Fe caboose. I didn't have my camera (doh) but it was interesting to see it. I didn't go on it or anything, just got a good look.

And then, a few weeks later, I see the caboose actually being used in the industrial yard, and have seen it occasionally on my drive to work. I guess they still use it when switching the yard?

Jim Krause

Play Doh: One of the members of our local Railroad club has two of those BN cabooses on his property here in Polson. He has them all fixed up inside and rents them out for summer cabins.

Play-Doh

Jim Krause said:
Play Doh: One of the members of our local Railroad club has two of those BN cabooses on his property here in Polson. He has them all fixed up inside and rents them out for summer cabins.

Hmm....I smell a summer weekend vacation!

Jim Krause

I guess cabooses were such a common piece of equipment to us "older" folks that we take them for granted. I do occasionally think something is missing when I see a freight with a bare rearend . Won't be long before there are no cabs on the locomotive.
I forgot to mention the following. There is a local rancher who has a bunch of cabooses in his pasture, in case you want to buy one.

ozzy

there is a guy about 15 miles from me that has a santa fe caboose in his back yard, looks almost brand new. i dont know the guy, but im going to see if i can take some pic's of it next time im over that way.