Unwelcomed signature in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by ml5716111, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, my daughter noticed that whenever we send a message out from Outlook Express, in the signature there is a url of a Russian site. Can someone help me remove this pest?

Thanks, Moshe
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

In the top menu should be "tools", click that,
    at the bottom of the drop down menu is, "options", click that
    A window opens with tabs across the top and one of these is signatures.

You may have a virus that resets this every time you either restart Outlook or your machine.
    In this case, You may need to download, "SpyBot Search and Destroy"
    Get it here...

Hope this helps,
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'll second the vote for SpyBot. One of the very best free programs out there!!
  4. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Thanks Russel. I'm running SpyBot now. Hope it works.

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Spybot is for spyware, not viruses. You should also run Lavasoft adaware. Its another freebie spyware removal tool. They tend to catch different things. If you do not currently have an antivirus application running then I highly recommend AVG antivirus its free for home use and uses way less resources than mcafee or norton - they also have a free spyware removal application if you feel so inclined.
  6. DrBill

DrBill Member

I'll second Chris. The combination of Spybot S&D, Adaware, and AVG anti-virus (along with a good firewall) is fantastic. I evolved to this combo and have been a happy (malware-free) camper ever since.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use Zone alarm for my firewall - its also free for personal use :)
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

A biggie, that most people kind of gloss over because it seems like common sense... Be very careful what you download. I have a teen aged daughter myself, and I have her finally about 80% trained to quit downloading every trial program that pops up in front of her... Those can be a haven for spyware, adware, malware, etc....
  9. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Another freeware recommendation: Windows Defender. Find it on the Microsoft Download page.

Bill Gates hired "outsiders" to build the program, so it is vastly superior to anything Microsoft has done!!!! It found and removed a virus I had been fighting with for weeks!

10. Kaz

Kaz Member

As well as the recommendations for all the above free stuff, I can say that mozzilla.org will furnish you with a far better email client than outlook express, and a slightly better web browser than IE7
    They are called Thunderbird, and Firefox

The reasons for using these instead of the microsoft ones are security, and security. Firefox will stop all popups and popunders as default, and you must tell it to allow those sites you need popups from
    T,bird will never allow code in web pages to change your email sig, nor your home page. Well it never has since I started using it 2 to 3 years ago.
  11. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Another level of protection is to use a proxy filter. I use a freeware one call the Proxomitron (easy lookup in Google!). A proxy filter, like any other filter, will prevent certain things from passing through and reaching your browser. Depending on the settings you can cut all pictures, those nasty shaking blinking adverts (i.e. animated gifs), browsers page hijacks, java and other code. It can also prevent outgoing information, such as your IP address going to nasty websites. It sits nicely in the background and does it's thing. It can be set to bypass if a website is more interactive (permanement bypass via simple settings, for e.g. kids websites with lots of games).

Sorry if this sounds like an advert. :grin: I been running the Proxomitron for years, and had good results i.e. no, or at least not many, "hits" with Spybot and Ad-aware, which I also use.

If you do want to run on the wild side, a program called Sandboxie will isolate any changes made to your computer by a website.
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Since everyone tossing out favs............. I like spybot also, and I like AVAST for the AV.............. pretty dang good and real cheap on the wallet!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.