Unusual rolling stock

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Recently observed on the Martinez sub of the UP, between Roseville, CA (J.R. Davis yard) and Martinez, CA.

Sorry, no picture available as I did not have a camera handy. For reference, visualize a typical gondola car and also a coil steel car with a domed cover.

The car that I saw looked like a gondola but had a flat lid (not domed like a coil steel car) and also had one of those lifting handles that you would see on a coil steel car.

It was obvious that it was not carrying coil steel because the dimensions did not allow enough room to carry coil steel under the flat cover. The style of lid confuses me and this is obviously some kind of specialty car, but for what kind of merchandise?

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Yes, with the exception of the roof walk. The prototype I saw had "lifting rings" (like on domed coil cars) rather than a walkway, but other than that, this was what I saw.

Any idea of what commodity this style is used for?

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
If you get a car number next time, I can do a trace at work and tell you exactly what the load is or was. I have seen several of those types of cars in Sparks yard here the last few days. If I see one tomorrow, I will do a trace on it. I suspect it has H or I columns of steel that has to be kept dry. Also, it could carry the smaller coils of stainless steel.

Greg

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Fuel carriers? A very novel approach in the use of a gondola thats for sure!!!

Originally posted by Sir_Prize
Someone told me that CSX has used cars like that as fuel carriers.
That was up in Deshler, OH. I think it was Railohio (Brain S.).

Yo... Brian!