Unpowered Remote Turnout Controls

Ironhead

Feb 6, 2007
I'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision on this subject. I'm very interested in the controls available from www.humpyard.com. They look and work great from everything I'm told. I've searched this topic but I'm not having any luck finding modelers who've posted complete tutorials online on how to build them from scratch... switches, levers, linkage, etc. I'd like to build them myself if possible, without having to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has a good link, please post it here. I will also be willing to post a tutorial on how I built my controls if I end up building a reliable and inexpensive alternative.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I operated at a layout the other day, where the turnouts in the yard are controlled with home-made levers and auto choke cables. You can make them out in the last picture here: Tommy Hood's Magnificent CNor Layout.

The levers work very well, and smoothly, but rely on a free and smooth running turnout. There was one that was a little sticky, and the cable will buckle instead of throwing the turnout.

Andrew

PS - The pictures are part of the Friday Night Group's blog. Tom Hood is one half of C-D-S Dry Transfers.