Unknown Track Device

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So I was down at the CN yard up the street the other day and I noticed this strange device on the track. It is on the spur that the engines are stored on. I have my suspicions, but could someone please tell me what this is for. Is it just to lock the track or is there more to it.
aax.jpg

Here are a few views. Thanks. TrainClown :wave:
aav.jpg

aaw.jpg

papio

Sep 6, 2004
Papillion, NE
I'm not in the business either, however I agree that it's a derail. The fact that it lies over the top of the rail + has the placarded "D" sign next to it, and the fact that it's on the engine servicing track are pretty good indicators as to its purpose.

SteveJ

Dec 3, 2004
Got to go with the majority here. Appears to be a derail.
Also interesting is that it appears to be installed on the ties of a removed switch.
SteveJ

F

Fred_M

Yeah that's a derailer TC. BTW that's what that sign with the bid D means. The mechanism is so they can be lowered (swung in). Fred

F

Fred_M

SAL Comet said:
OK, I'm gonna be the dummy that asks why would they want to derail a loco?
If an crew ran an engine into one of them they might as well just call their wife to come get them. LOL They are there to protect the mainline from freight cars on the siding rolling or being pushed onto the mains and causing extra work or worse, a bad accident. There is another tool (a ramp) that the derailed car can be rerailed with if this device does its job, no need for cranes. Fred

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Another reason that it is on the engine spure is to protect any crew that may be working on a locomotive parked there, don't want any equipment coming in and connecting to a loco with a blue flag on it.

Freelancer

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Depending on which direction this is set to derail. My suspicion would be if an idling loco *somehow* manages to become a runaway, this will kick them off the line before they foul the main.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This is quite a clever contraption. :thumb:

Surely it is a one-direction-derail. When you look at the second and third pic, it derails anything running from left to right. This way it protects the turnout out of the picture at right from any loco or car which tries to roll out of the stub, dumping it to the near side of the track.

But on the other hand it also acts as a stopping block for anything coming from the right - without derailing it. Judging from the scraped off paint it was used not too long ago.

A little more puzzling is the fact that also the derail tongue on the far track looks pretty worn. But the other, big block with the handle doesn't show any scars. So how many times has this derail really been used so far?

Did you note the padlock which prevents any fooling around? After opening and removing it you can swing the block to the inside of the track. At the same time the link rod will open the derailing tongue.

Now this would be quite a challenge to model - say in Nn3! :D :D :D

Ron

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
I was unable to see the pic, but from the description it sounds like a derail.

There are various types of derails from the flop over types to split rail derails to temporary portable derails.

Where I work there are split rail derails used to prevent equipment from going into the drink when the moveable bridge is open for ship traffic. These derails are automatic and are operated remotely by the operator/dispatcher.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
May I suggest that the long ties in the picture are not from a switch, but from the previous derail. There is another style where the cast block would be lifted on and off the rails by a switch stand, with a big target on it. I have a couple of models of this; they were sold as "Hayes derails" (by Model Engineering Works?)
This is the first one I've seen with two castings.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks guys.

So if it is for derailing a train, how difficult is it to put an engine or rolling stock back on the track? Seems like it would be time to call a crane. Or is there another device for putting a train back on the tracks?

TrainClown

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
On narrow gauge railroads derailments were quite common. So almost all of the engines carried a pair of rerailers with them. In most cases they were hung onto the frame of the tender.

In this pic you can see a rerailer on a K-36 tender of the D&S tourist RR (red arrow). Probably it is the same as shown in the Nolan website - see Fred's link.

Ron

Attachments

• D&S K-36.jpg
    D&S K-36.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 119

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
The FRA has a rule about de-rails, I forget the exact wording but any track that has any access to a shop or work facility must have these. On the IC (CN) if work has to be done on the main line or somewhere like that portable de-rails that clamp to the rail have to be placed 300 (I believe) feet and a blue light or flag on each end of the consist. At the roundhouse each pit or bay has one. All de-rails have to be locked and only the roundhouse personal are supposed to have keys. And yes they can be jumped from the un-protected direction---been there done that. As to the re-railers these monsters were slung from the under frame, one on each side usually near the jack pads. These were a mess to use and each one weighed about 200lb.

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
RailRon said:
Surely it is a one-direction-derail. When you look at the second and third pic, it derails anything running from left to right. This way it protects the turnout out of the picture at right from any loco or car which tries to roll out of the stub, dumping it to the near side of the track.
looks pRon

yeah, thats what i think its for, anything trying to go out onto the main line get derailed, away from the main (not just in any direction)

- i dont believe its designed to work in thw other direction at all (eather to drail, or to allow things to passed un affeced)

- i think the missing paint is just from when its (open) and resting (upsidedown) on the sleepers (see the notch it the sleeper)

daniel