unknown pc switcher any help?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Charlie,

When I click your link it gets me to the sign in page for Yahoo Groups.

Ralph

slekjr

I should have realized that. I don't want to post the photo because it isn't mine. I think anyone can join the group but it took me 7 days to get a confirmation. I'll see if the picture is posted elsewhere

slekjr

well the big reason was I wanted a reply. The last post was mine when I joined on Aug 5th, Guess you might say it isn't the gauge.:wave:

slekjr

I tracked down a black and white of the same unit by searching the previous posts in the yahoo group
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc15.jpg
according to info the paint job was a one of a kind and the unit was later renumbered and repainted. but.....would be a great way to break the PC monotony on a pike
Charlie

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Got it! Here's another photo:

http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/equip/dsi15.jpg

and some info that was the caption for the above photo:

"DSI #15 was the shop switcher at Merchant Despatch Shops, a former NYC subsidiary company, in Rochester, NY. Shop forces painted their locomotive into one of the most colorful PC paint schemes ever created. The locomotive is seen at Rochester on April 1, 1970. The paint job did not last long, however. Shortly after this photo was taken, the locomotive was renumbered to PC 8605 (2nd) and was repainted in full PC black. Photo by David Turkon, from the collection of Dale A. DeVene Jr."

A VERY cool scheme. Too bad the entire fleet wasn't painted this way. I think rail fans would have been kinder to the PC! :)

Ralph

Triplex

but.....would be a great way to break the PC monotony on a pike
I once heard a modeller complain that PC layouts tend to have too many "red P" units. I can't disagree. PC had one of the most diverse diesel rosters ever. You can realistically have variety in this regard. However, everyone agrees PC paint was dull, and I've noticed that repainting seems to have been very quick. I've seen very few shots of predecessor diesels after 1970, though electrics were repainted more slowly.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I once heard a modeller complain that PC layouts tend to have too many "red P" units. I can't disagree. .

Guilty as charged! :) I have a "Red P" F Unit and a GP 9. I also have a
GP38-2 with an "orange C". Plenty of good ol' black and white though! :thumb:
tunnel.jpg

Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I heard a story that the reason PC units were painted black was that just before the merger, the New York Central had ordered drums of black paint to redo thier loco's. Instead of wasting all the paint after the merger, the PC used all the paint repainting all of the locos that were inheireted from the mereger.
Is there any truth to the story, or is it just a myth?

DanRaitz

Charlie,

In answer to your original question, Dispatch Shops Inc. #15 is a EMD SW8. There are a couple of photo's of her in the Withers Publishing book "EMD's SW8" including a color one on the back cover.

Dan

Dirtyd79

Thanks for all the replies and the help. It is amazing that after all these years there is so much interest in the PC.
Charlie
Even though I model conrail in the 1990s I have some Penn Central freight cars since Penn Central became part of Conrail and since much of it still exists in old PC colors even now. Plus green is my favorite color.:mrgreen: