Universal Symbols?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by shrike, Mar 16, 2005.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

By now we've all learned that a "W" in a blank spot on a Polish kit means "cut out".

I'm wondering if a series of universal international non-verbal instruction symbols would be a good idea. Something not unlike the ones found in Airfix kits or Ikea furniture.

I propose a series of symbols - monochrome and no larger than 50 pixels square - that designers could use to help clarify and simplify instructions.

To start off here are a couple of simple ones

2. shrike

shrike Guest

Thought of a few more

Here are a few more possibilities
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

More, more! Score, curl, water glue, aerosol glue, solvent glue, double-sided tape, glue-stick, align centre marks, trim to fit, abrade, bevel (full depth) bevel half depth, bevel both sides. wire reinforcing rod (inc diameter/gauge), template, use clear material, colour cut edge, cut oversize, vacformed part, wooden part, part number, part multiple, mirror part,

What a good idea. Thanks indeed Shrike.

PS we could make this into a font if there are enough images to make it worth while.
  4. Jimi

Jimi Member

excellent! this makes everything a whole lot clearer!
  5. Jimi

Jimi Member

I would yet have to see a cardmodel in Filipino! :shock: It would go like, "Itupi and papel sa kalahati at idikit sa linya" Nah, nevermind.
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

One of the best ideas that anyone has come up with, it would make it all so much better for building the models.

And I might add a better selling point for designers who take up the idea 8)

Great stuff

7. cygielski

cygielski Member

Just publish all instructions in Esperanto, and we'd all be set! :mrgreen:
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

Been adding a few more symbols. If anyone has comments or suggestions for more by all means toss them out.

I'm at something of a loss for "glue" My fisrt thought was a bottle, but that could be paint as well. And coding it with a letter defeats the purpose ("G" for glue? "K" for kleber? "A" for adhesiv? "к" for клей? "п" for прилипатель?)
  9. rowiac

rowiac Member

How about a tube of glue instead of a bottle?

Sorry for the poor quality picture; I don't have a good drawing tool here at work. :(

10. silverw

silverw Member

That's what I would do Rowiac....

and then a big red ciircle for don't glue...
    ........maybe different color for different glue?

How about a pointy thingy on each corner(of your square), in case you want to get in close, for an indicator(like a pointy finger?)

I know you suggested monocrhome, but if you used the common printer ink colors, you could get many more posibilities. (Yellow. cyan, magenta) or maybe not?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Heres two more.

12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

What a great idea. They basically do the same thing for origami. -----is a valley fold and - - with a round dot in between each one is a mountain fold. They have little symbols for inside reverse fold, outside reverse fold and so on. Keep coming up with more and hopefully the idea will catch on with some of the designers :roll:
  13. silverw

silverw Member

You are right Dustin.....

We should also check out what conventions are already being used.

I tried searching for drafting symbols, mechanical drawings, etc...(but there is a lot!)..........just in case!!!

Also........let's encourage people , if they think they have an improvement to what has already been posted!!!

In this case...'MORE IS BETTER!!!"
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

I was looking through some old mechanical drawing books especially sheetmetal and welding symbols. They didn't appear too apropo for card modeling. Origami symbols are intrigueing...,

15. rowiac

rowiac Member

Some other ideas for universal card model symbols can be found on models from the Czech Republic. For example on both Betexa and ABC models they use a large red "X" on the scrap piece to be cut out. This is more intuitive than a "W" or other words meaning "cut out". I think I've seen a scissors symbol used for the same purpose on Japanese models.

The Czech models also often have the mating part numbers marked on the areas where they attach. Sometimes this can be helpful, but I would think it would be a lot of work for the designer to add all those numbers.

16. shrike

shrike Guest

I'd thought of that, but the slashed circle is too handy for modifying everything else - making 'glue' into 'do not glue'
  17. This has nothing to do with glue, in this placement the symbol is being used as "do not use" or "remove" or in Polish "Wemove" :p

You do understand that attempts at "Universal Symbols" have been made before, it's not like the supposed ASME and ANSI "standards" are actually used universally either.
    A first step to Universal Symbols would be commonality of communication. That rams right into a primary roadblock of basic language, while more countries use English (at least "officially"), most of the world population speaks Mandarin, while in second English is running head-to-head with Spanish. Technically you might reach more people by implementing Kanji ideograms.

At the other end; no application of an easily understood symbol lexicon will gestalt a total crap model design into a buildable kit. It is really up to the engineer to create a kit (that is "model parts", "instructions", and "packaging") combined in homogenous context for an adequately skilled person to successfully build.

Developing a Universal Symbol Lexicon is a nice exercise, an amusing enough pastime, and could very well become a hobby all its own.

Using silhouettes of products can not consistently work due to the variety of common, and uncommon, types of packaging and appearance.

To further deepen the problem, some "generic symbols" can have unknown cultural meaning in foreign nations. Use and misuse can cause controversy, condemnation or confusion.
    The Fylfot being such an example: http://www.northvegr.org/fylfot/index.php.