UniTrack Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by ejko, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ejko

ejko New Member

I've just received my Kato train set and additional track, and am anxious to get started on my layout. I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions.

1. I'm building the Tri-R Layout from the Kato site. I only received a single feeder. Will this be sufficient, or will I need to add more? If more, how do I do this since there is only one output on the powerpack?

2. In case I want to slightly modify the layout once I get started, how do you get Kato UniTrack apart once its been assembled?

3. I received a small blue plastic item called a Unijoiner tool. What is this for and how its it used?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I have no experience with the Uni-Trak, but if its anything like the Bachmann EZ-Trak, you should be able to take it apart. Maybe thats what the tool is for.
    As far as feeders, depending on the size, and I'm guessing that its not to big, feeder straight to the power pack from the track should be fine.
  3. steveNSimes

steveNSimes New Member

OK I'm guesing this is a small layout ( I haven't seen the plan.) One track feeder should be ok, but remember that unitrack switches are power routing, ie power to the way the swith is aligned. If you are planning to run one engine, no problem and two eniges would also be ok as you could park one and throw the switch route and kill the power to it.

The blue tool is to remove unijoiners, but you'll probally never need to use it. I've yet to have a unijoiner go bad. To get the track apart, just rock the pcs. back and forth, not up and down, and it comes apart pretty easily.

Good luck!
  4. coaster

coaster Member

One slight correction to the previous post: Unitrack switches are power-routing, with the exception of the #4 switch, which can be either open or power-routing depending on what you choose. It's a simple matter of switching a toggle on the underside. You shouldn't have much -- if any -- trouble with the Unitrack system, by the way; Kato did a pretty good job of bulletproofing their track. (Sometimes the directions can be a bit of a challenge, but that's where patience pays off.)

-- Paul
  5. FiveFlat

FiveFlat Member

Where are their layouts on their site? I was just looking over it and can't find any.
  6. coaster

coaster Member

Go to http://www.katousa.com, click on the unitrack link, scroll down to N scale on the lefthand side. A little farther down, you should see the link for "Track Plans." Click on that, and you're in.

7. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I just checked out the plan. One feeder should be plenty for the size of the layout.
  8. HPRL

HPRL Member

That Number #6 Switch is pretty tricky. If you are wiring for DCC go to this link for wiring configuration http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_kato.htm . Even when I used a regular DC setup, when I threw the switch, I lost current beyond the switch. That is why the #6 is a lower cost than the #4. With the Kato switch track the #4 HO track is the #6 N scale and the #6 HO is the #4 N Scale. Japan likes to keep us on our toes.

There are plenty artlcle regarding this switch. Use your Google search engine on the web for Kato #6 electric switch. But again - make sure you are looking at the appropriate scale you want. Don't need the joiner tool.

Bottom line -- if you use two power line, one on both sides of the switch, you will short out the track after throw the switch.
  9. ejko

ejko New Member

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice.