Union Pacific's Bailey Yard

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
hello I am new to this forumn and wanted to know if any one new anything about Union Pacific's Bailey yard. I want to model most of the Union Pacific line I don't know if I want to do a modular thing or a 2 level modular or a normal house layout (looking at the possibility of 2 level modular) I don't care what info I just don't want to hear "what size room do you have" :rolleyes: I just want info the UP site dosen't have much info any one who w has ANYTHING tell me please!!!
I am someone who love anomation I have enough info to start on end of a hump yard I will use DCC in a few months but as of know its DC :( I am making the brake retarters that slow the cars I don't quite know how I will do this but I will tale sugestions on that too

thanx, Ben

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The November 1995 issue of TRAINS magazine has an article on Bailey Yard and the Union Pacific's mainline across Nebraska. Another resource to check out is North American Railyards by Michael Rhodes (MBI Publishing: 2003). It has a few photos of the yard, a brief text on it, and a track schematic. Good luck in your research!

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
thank you I guess I will be making a trip to the book store :D ;)
I have devised a plan to accomplish this task #1 get money #2 buy stuff #3 build stuff #4 operate stuff :p :p :p What ya think of my plan :D ;)

thanx, Ben

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
ive heard that name some where....... i beleave its in a dvd i have if so ill will jot down all info about it and relay it to you and any one else intrested :wave: and welcome to the form harry (railroader)

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE :D :D

that would be great if at all possible!!!! Could you teel me the nam eof it?? I just got a dream-plan-build video and it has it on it if its the same don't worry about

thanx, Ben

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I can get you photos of our UP section

Hey Ben Nice to see another UP nut I might add a picture of my colection here but if you would like I can def. get you pics of the Up yard here in town not much to see but what the hey I get ya what I can from a Min. point of view
and if you like I have a few extra doubles of things in my collection of you might be intrested

Attachments

• model railroad 026.jpg
    model railroad 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 85
  • model railroad 027.jpg
    model railroad 027.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 78

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I'm gonna have to say. Good luck trying to get a set of retarders to work for a hump yard in HO. I've been working on several builds and designs to get it right but it's still not right. The main problem being is that the retarders pick the cars up off the track and derail because they are to light. If you weight them to much it will wear out the wheels and trucks making you have to change them ever couple months. I'm stumped all the way around because I've got a note book full of drawings that have failed. I did hear about one guy who did it and made it work. Not to sure though. If you can come up with something that works. Let me know.

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
:rolleyes: true my plan was to take some small servos or air cylinders and have them push on the INSIDE of the rail onto the flange and the actual *brake* material will be balsa or foam. I wil probably go with balsa since it dosen't create as many particles. this will be activated using DCC CTC I will try and program it so it knows what cars are in a train. ex. Train 49 pulls in and CTC knows what cars in what order it has the loco detaches and they take it up to the hump yard CTC (with the assistance of a human ;) ) will know to put more of less brake and will be able to route the cars on its own instead of having to quickly throw multiple turnouts then if there is problemt here will be a switch to stop the opperation. I think this will work if anyone sees any flaws let me know. I am thinking about using these type of cylinders......http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET25&P=0

the piston will push straight up and push the balsa on to the wheel flange
I will be aware of not to use much pressure or it will
A: derail the cars
B: break the balsa or
C: screw up my whole system :eek: :eek: :p :rolleyes:
Thanx, Ben

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, we have tried foam, balsa and even paint brush's and they will all work but the key to the whole thing and getting it to work right which has been the hardest part was getting the retarder to move enough without going over to much. We're talking about movement as little as a thousandth of an inch or better. I'll draw up one of my plans that worked best but the problem is still getting it to move only as much as a hair at a time. Keep in mind once the car's start downhill after hitting the retarder they won't stay at scale speed. Like, all of my car's are equipped with KATO roller bearing trucks which roll so good they can pick out even the slightest bit of uneven, unlevel track. So using such a car mounted with these trucks on a hump yard, the hump wouldn't have to be very high at all unless your car's are equipped with air brakes which I highly doubt. There's a way to do it. It's just a matter of trial and error.

KATY

Jul 30, 2005
Liberty, MO
Whoa! You are going to model most of the UP? You must have a huge area and a lot of time. Here in KC alone the UP has more than 6 rail yards not to mention Omaha and everything to the west coast. Just wondering, more power to you and good luck!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You need some strategically planted weeds between the rails that will brush against the axels of your cars and slow them at just the right point so they do not slam into cars that are already there.

Andrew

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Here is a new design drawing I spent the last few days working on. I believe the idea will work for the most part with a slight modification or two but the general idea is to make the paddles move in very tiny increments because the slightest bit of pressure can make the biggest different.

Does anyone know how to animate something like this as a gif.? If so it would make this whole thing self explanatory.

Attachments

• retarder jpg main.JPG
    retarder jpg main.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 67
  • retarder jpg..JPG
    retarder jpg..JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 70

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Rubber Doohickeys

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine uses little rubber doohickeys to slow down cars and even hold cars on a grade. I think it is the stuff that Koosh Balls are made of if that makes sense. Anyway, my idea would be to have a system that could be raised manually or automatically. You could design a system outside the rails for show and have the inside the rail stops never seen because they would follow the car on its way down. It works by creating force on the axel wheels themselves from the middle of the track. Let me know if this doesn't make any sense and I will try to clarify.

My two cents
Cory

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
the up yard

i see you got that too but any how i did get a search in and i found some info on a few sites if you do a search for union pacifics bailey yard you should see what i saw including a site with one impresive ariel shot.....:thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Charles,

That is an interesting idea. I have no knowledge of how real retarders work - is it similar?

Anyway, your idea of squeezing the wheels got me thinking about the warning that is usually given to those who nail their track to the roadbed. Put the nails in too tight and it can actually draw the rails together...

So what if you had a device that could pull on a tie in the centre, thereby bringing the rails together and squeezing on the wheel flanges?

Andrew

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: that might be a little tuf if the device pulls to hard it can snap the tie and it won't be as realistic. the real retardersw use cylinders the squeze on the rails on the insicde and out slowing the car its cool to watch :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ben,

You'd have to be careful to limit the travel of whatever pulls on the ties. I think that a scale retarder that mimics the exact workings of the real world one would be hard to do - just trying to think "outside" the box... ;)

Andrew

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
I see what you are saying but the magnitude of cars that goes in and out of Bailey yard,even in scale, will be enough to brack a tie or derail a train and each derail takes up time in the operating schedule to fix the problem and I want it to look and preform scale. I will start a mockup of the design tonight. as for know :wave: :wave: :wave:

Ben