Union Pacific Modelers...

UP SD40-2

Clark:wav: , your right!:mrgreen: , though i ALMOST bought one similar to it this last weekend:winki: , Kato, BRAND NEW for $65.00:eeki: , but the Veranda Gas turbine & Cab forward i bought tapped me out:119: .

:deano: -Deano

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
does any one own the N-scale Athrean Big Boy yet?
I do/did. I brought it home, put it on the layout and ran it for almost a whole 5 minutes before it broke. Something in the drive linkage above the second set of drivers started slipping. I immediately took it back to my LHS where they swapped it out for me. Here is my second one...
DCP_6791_cropped.jpg

i know, i used the defanition of brute in context lol
that sux about it breakin in the first 5 minutes im sure you werent a happy camper lol i know i wasnt when my 2-6-2 did the same thing lol

UP SD40-2

You can add me to the UP list. All the fault of Austin and the MO-PAC line:)
zener:wav: , GLAD to have another UP modeler on this forum!:thumb::mrgreen:

may i ask what era are you modeling?, what area are you modeling?, are you just modeling the UP, if not, what other roads you will also be modeling?

Also, do you have any pics of your engines, freight cars, layout progress etc?, we sure would love to see them:thumb: . we like to see pics if its possible, you could post them "Here", or in the "Weekly Photo Fun" thread, OR just start a thread of your own, bottom line, if you got pics, POST 'EM!:mrgreen: .

:welcome1:

deano1.gif
- Deano

Tim H

I thought this would be a good place to ask a UP related question. My Father-in-Law is in the process of expanding his layout. As soon as he was finished with his first railroad, he was ready to tear out a side to extend the tracks down the rest of the basement. He used Bachman E-Z Track on the original layout. I helped him with a track plan for the extension and we laid about 80 feet of flex track.

Currently all of his cars are freight. He wanted to add a passenger train. But since he has 18 and 22-inch radius turns on the old layout, he is limited to the Athearn 72' passenger cars. He has a UP F7 that will be used for passenger service. Athearn isn’t offering any of their shorty streamliner cars in Union Pacific livery at the moment, so I am getting him undecorated cars when I can and painting them myself.

Now onto my question. Most of the good pictures on the net of streamliner cars have been taken within the last 20 years. My Father-in-Law’s layout is based in the 50’s. Were the trucks on the UP Streamliner cars always silver, or were they originally Harbor Mist Gray?

Here are a couple pictures of my progress. I started painting the baggage car and applied primer to the rest.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

UP SD40-2

Tim:wave: . looking through the MULTITUDES of UP pics i have, and then checking my "Streamliners" UP DVD, i would DEFINITELY paint the trucks on the UP passenger cars with the yellow paint scheme, silver:thumb: . ALL my streamliners have silver trucks also:winki: .

deano1.gif
-Deano

CCT70

I am working on building a Western Pacific "Seal" (Sea-Land) train with New Image Painted GP40-2's and Run Through UP SD40-2's in the late 1970's paint & lettering.

Here are my 2 run through units. Thinking of building 1 more, but not sure. I also have a Centralia CA-3 caboose being painted for me as well right now.

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00006.jpg

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures (or lack thereof actually), I can't find my digital camera and so I had to use my Crackberry.

UP SD40-2

Now onto my question. Most of the good pictures on the net of streamliner cars have been taken within the last 20 years. My Father-in-Law’s layout is based in the 50’s.

My answer still stands:toug::mrgreen: .

Tom, THANK YOU for posting the link:thumb: , i saved it to my favorites, though there are some discrepancies with MR.Don Stracks writings i seen right off, so i am curious just how accurate his writings really are?:confused:

BTW, Tom, AWESOME SD40-2's:thumb:

deano1.gif
- Deano

Tim H

Thanks for the info Deano and CCT70. That was an interesting read. I will post some more pics of the cars when I get them further along.