Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Superb! Following your designs is truly inspiring!
  2. willygoat

willygoat Member

I was snooping around here (1st time in quite a while) and saw your build thread. I said it on the other forum, but I have to say it again. WOW!!!!!!!
  3. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Lordy! Can't wait to see this in paper! Magnificent work! :)
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Very thanks for all kind words. I first unrolled the frame. Have to divided to be 2 sections. Tender's lenght in 1/30 is 420mm. It's too long to fit in A4 lenght.
    Best Regards
  5. cauesousa6

cauesousa6 New Member

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Can I ask a question(actually two questions, this being the first. :wink: ):

How does one texture in Rhino? All I can see in your pics is a gray locomotive with line art on the surfaces.
  7. kooklik

kooklik Member

Test build

Hi there
    I cut first part. 190 grms is rather too thin for making a frame. But the frame is not completed yet. Still more parts will be added to make it stronger. The sample was printed in white and sprayed in gloss black.
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Only one part cut, and it's already looking very impressive !!!
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Millennium
    If you mean making texture on the surface such as rusty , oildirty. I'll do it after unroll in Rhino. Then export to photoshop in many layers (contour , pattern line , marking , numbering ect) then adding colors and weathering. For Bigboy it would be gloss black for most skin and parts. Some part will be light weathering added on Super Heat section (the front of boiler) and stove.
    Best Regards
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Just to add to Kooklik, Rhino has a -rubbish- support on UV textures so I wouldn't recommend even try using them in Rhino... As Kooklik pointed out Photoshop does a much better job anyway
  11. hmas

hmas Member

Hi peeples
    I am about to commence a quick poll, on the Big boy loco, as to which scale you would like it to be produced in.
    this is one of a few polls to be started on other sites to gauge (pun) interest.
    This poll may not reflect Kookliks final decision, but will give him an idea.

12. hmas

hmas Member

13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Tony
    Thanks alot for making a poll survey. During the waitig the poll result. I still continue doing on internal former designing. The frame which I did is rather weak. This is my improved internal former. Basic concept is copied from U-Boat's but added narrow bars beside. These bars maintain the skin plates be wrinkleless.
  14. hmas

hmas Member

I thought it may help make me some money!:mrgreen:
    But so far no-one has offered a bribe,:twisted: so I think you should make it in 1/200 scalesign1
    I have a couple of polls running on the model train sites as well
  15. bclemens

bclemens Member

16. hmas

hmas Member

I'm being asked to enter a password.
    Is that your entry point to edit items?
    Or to keep the riff raff out?:mrgreen:
  17. bclemens

bclemens Member

Oops! I forgot to set the album as "public". Should work now. Thanks!
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks alot Bruce :thumb:
    These pictures are very good resourece for me. There's still some details those I have not put in the 3D model yet.
    Now I'm cutting the internal frame. Sorry for no have any picture posted.
    Best Regards
  19. kooklik

kooklik Member

The poll is closed. 1/25 is the winner. I'll unroll in 1/25.
    Thanks for all votes.
    Best Regards
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Tender's Internal Former in 1/25 scale. All fit in A4 size on 1mm cardboard.