Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

This looks amazing so far. Graphics look excellent. I can't wait to see how it transforms to paper/card.
  2. kooklik

kooklik Member

Yesterday finished all brake links of trail truck.

Brake links

A view of all wheels
    Front-Rear Engine-02.jpg

Best Regards
  3. hmas

hmas Member

Can I have magnifing glasses please?
    brake rods will be 0.5mm wire ? I don't want to make it with paper!:mrgreen:
    I better start measuring handrails etc to get the right sizes.
    & more nimble fingers.
    Yony or Ynot
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Tony
    magnifying glass , yes ,I have one. Just bought for this project. Brake rods are 0.8mm same size as U-Boat's rail.
  5. hmas

hmas Member

Thanks Kooklik:thumb:
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all
    It's very hot here in Thailand. It's better to stay at home under shade avoid the killing sunlight. I finished the trail truck's suspension. It's inside the frame. So I hide a frame skin to display inside.
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

The design work is great - can't wait to see you start doing the test build.
  8. kchallen

kchallen New Member

Yet another master piece.

Going to watch this with interest, I have a picture of wife and I standing next to this monster in the Denver Steam Museum, we come up to about the top of the wheel. Should be a monster build.

9. kooklik

kooklik Member

The beast's drive wheel diameter is 5'1"(152 cm). Its weight may be a few tons. I once visited a museum in Tokyo. A huge Japan steam locomotive is displayed there. I looked around but that time I did not intend to build a paper locomotive yet. Until I saw Big boy in Discovery Chanel. Driving rods moved in the steam clouds that's so impressive.
  10. bugman72

bugman72 Member

Any updates? Can't wait to get my hands on the finished model!
  11. roch

roch Member

Holey freakin cow crap batman. lol
    If I were to meet you I would kiss and hug you.

I hope I did not break any rules here. I had to say what I said and could not come up with anything better.

12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all
    Sory for not update for many days.
    No any update yet. I've just come back from long vacation.

13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there
    Return back to the thread. I'm still working on designing. The next is back engine (drive rods and links). Reverse links also have been done. The reverse cylinder is remained because this part is equipped on boiler. I'll do when the boiler designing get started.

Reverse Cylinder
    Original Big Boy picture taken and supported by Willygoat

14. lriera

lriera Member

It is beginning to look very complicated. A great design, Kooklik.
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

More pics. Wheels on tracks.
  16. kooklik

kooklik Member

Start building the boiler.

17. roch

roch Member

My .......................

Nice pics................................
  18. lriera

lriera Member

It looks very well to me.
  19. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks for your kind words Roch and Iriera. Yesterday I did not add much. here is the update.
  20. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

It's one thing that you can design these awesome models, it's another that you can then turn them into such beautiful card models as well... but the more I see of this design process, the more I learn about how a steam train works and the effort that must have gone into designing and building the real things all those years ago.

This is shaping up to be one of the best design threads I've seen, and although it's only early days I can't help wondering what you are going to attempt once this one is finished.

Keep up the great work and thanks as always for sharing it with us. :thumb: