Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. hmas

hmas Member

Laser cut hmm? How much would that add to the finished price of a kit?
    Out of curiosity I priced a laser unit locally to do A3 sized sheets A$20,000:eek: was the purchase price!
    How many kits would Kooklik have to sell, to even start recouping the costs?
    how much are you prepared to pay?

Of course contracting out the laser cutting work would be cheaper*, I am getting some train passenger coaches 1/32 scale laser cut in a week or two & I'll see how the price goes for them**.

*Laser cutting looks as it may be 1 sheet at a time, if more than one the bottom sheets are unable to dissapate the heat from the laser & overheat ie burn up, catch on fire :curse:
    **Also if the card stock is printed on first, it takes longer & the "inks" can cause problems as well, so the coaches will be on plain white card & after bending to shape, will be painted, aerosol cans

Just my 2c worth I don't want to see Kooklik go bankrupt,:cry: or his wife throw him out.:p
  2. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I'm thinking what could be done is a best of both worlds thing. Laser cut the parts that are the hardest to cut otherwise. Save the rest for the modeler. In this kit I'm thinking painting is the way to go for a few reasons. Uniformity in the paint. Inkets or perhaps laser printing could produce uneven results and if you have to touch up why not paint from the get go. In that case all the laser need do is follow the CNC plan on a card that is the best color to start painting from. When making the cuts there are going to be tons of spots where you will need to paint as the card is exposed during the cutting so if you are going to paint then start off with that in mind.

Plain sturdy card that can stand up to the laser cutting process that will need to be painted. I can deal with that quite easily. I'm sure Koolik knows the parts that were hardest to cut. So it could be easy to arrange them for CNC cutting. Leaving the rest up to us to cut.

Given the dimensions of this model there could even be different versions so a super detailed version a less detailed version and so on. Depending on skill level of modeler and the amount of work one wants to invest in building one.

I can't wait either. I'm going to be modeling the CNW in Iowa but the CNW was taken over by the UP in 1995 so a UP Big Boy wouldn't have rolled over the tracks my layout is located in but there is a connection. It will make a totally splendid display piece when it's ready..
  3. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there
    Long time no update here. I've been working with the assembly instruction. The work goes very slow , but never stops. Instruction making is 60% and parts are filled in 56 pages of A4. It's a quite hard job. That's a reason for slowly progression.

TenderAssyInst-01.jpg TenderAssyInst-02.jpg
    TenderAssyInst-03.jpg TenderAssyInst-04.jpg
    TenderAssyInst-05.jpg TenderAssyInst-06.jpg
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

You could almost build a full size one with those instructions. They look great. I'm thinking your going to have book on your hands when your done even the tender. As that is paper as opposed to card stock you would print out the instructions on.

Your doing a great job on the instructions. I know it's slow work. The quality shows though.

Keep up the great work.
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Yes , slow but quality. :mrgreen:
    Thanks for your kind words.
  7. chooch.42

chooch.42 Member

Kooklik ! Delighted to see you posting again - thought you might have departed the forum. The observation, "Slow" is an empathy, certainly not criticism. Your exemplary work is remarkable, and likely only possible at a measured pace. Thanks for your continued efforts - we will patiently await such high quality craftsmanship, and welcome back. Bob C.
  8. Wendigo

Wendigo Member

The bad thing about models like this is that no matter the price it will have, it won't cover the amount of work you put in. On the other hand, it's quality stands out.

9. kooklik

kooklik Member

I'll keep all your nice words to motivate this project to the goal even still so far from now.
    Best Regards
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

This is looking absolutely amazing, and your instructions look to be some of the best in the business.
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you GT5500
    I have more a page to add today.

12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Page 9 and 10
    TenderAssyInst-09.jpg TenderAssyInst-10.jpg
  13. moonracer

moonracer New Member

Hello kooklik

one of the best I have ever seen. My deeply concratulations.:thumb:
    Can´t nearly wait to start with the test building. The best place in my living room is reservated for the model!

Cheers Michael:wave:
  14. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello Michael
    The instruction will be ready soon. There will be a lot of errors wait you to point out.
  15. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I for one can't wait till your back modeling again. Your instructions are truly exceptional just the same. I'm thinking you deserve a break from design. Like rewriting a book it only gets easier the second time. I'm hoping.
  16. moonracer

moonracer New Member

I will do my best to do that!:thumb:
    just building will be boring...:mrgreen::twisted:

17. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello Ronson2K3
    I am thinking of coming back to model building again. The 3D model of the engine needs some details added before surface unrolling. My knife will do its job again.

Hello Michael
    Your talent on the Type VII U-Boat building is more than my expectation to do the test build.
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

19. kooklik

kooklik Member

The last page
  20. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Congrats.. A masterful job so far.. If you don't mind me asking are you using 3DStudio to do your modeling/illustrations with? Probably should have asked like long ago LOL.