Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all
    Finished all front brake links. Very tough work ! Some parts I modified their shape to be buildable by paper. But links machanism is same as original.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! This is looking super! Not evensure if I wold have the guts to tackle a wheel assembly :)
  3. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

more wheels ....

what do You think about to reproduce this transporter for Your BIG BOY: ... wheels, wheels, wheels, wheels, ....a lot of wheels to reproduce :mrgreen:

Very astounding design, I'll follow your progress...

Your are THE MASTER! :thumb:

Attached Files:

4. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I am SOOOOO glad that someone is tackling this project. I tried about a year ago and failed miserably. I have been in love with this loco since I was a little child. Good ole #4006 is just a couple of hours from me at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis. I've spend many, many hours sitting inside the cockpit of that magnificent beast. Bit of history on #4006...it logged the greatest number of miles of any of the 4XXX locos...1,064,625.

At 1/48, if my math is right, the loco and tender should be about 2'-9" in length (132'-10" x 1/48 ). I think I might have to resize this to 1/24 to make it a bit over 5'-6" in length.

Also, is it just me, or did one of the axles under the mover decide to give way in that pic?
  5. bclemens

bclemens Member

I wouldn't doubt it...according to Union Pacific Big Boys this thing weighs in at 540,000 pounds!!!

Kooklik, if you want to make your model to scale weight, all you'll have to do is add 11,250 pounds of lead. :eek:

6. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

No, isn't You, the axle was realy broken.
    More pictures here

Best, Nando :wave:

Attached Files:

7. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

How often do you see a locomotive going across a crossing without being on the tracks?
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hope the Prototype BIGBOY won't break my shelf like this pic.:mrgreen:
  9. roch

roch Member

Awsomely kool kooklik. :thumb: Can't wait to see more.
  10. iis612

iis612 Member

Wow is just not enough!
    Incredible talent, incredible task.
    I can not wait to see more.

11. kooklik

kooklik Member

More about Big Boy , just finished "CrossHead" (a joint between cylinder shaft and Side Rod)
  12. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

look great kooklik !
    waitting to see more.
  13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Wheel dimensions

If the U-boat, which I purchased, is any indication, we should be in for a real ride with the Big Boy. One request, if possible Kooklik, include actual dimensions in your drawings for items such wheels, boiler covers, gears, and other round parts. It saves the time of having to build them.

I have tired of assembling round parts which look clunky in paper anyway. As an alternative, I have begun turning masters on a lathe, making a mold in RTV, and casting them in Celluclay.

Hey, it's paper!
  14. kooklik

kooklik Member

More about design progression.
    Sliding Rail and Reverse Gear
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i was thinking ah damn steam train <= tank

this thing is freaking neat

mount a gun on it and i want one......
  16. kooklik

kooklik Member

You've made me remember out a scene from "Enemy At The Gate". They mounted 2 T-34 terrets on a bogy infront of the steam engine.
  17. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

excellent so i can expect that as a extra in the kit correct 8P
  18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi kooklik what a great work u make on this one

i realy like it

how u make the nice 3d coluring pic ?also how u make the black and whait pic?
  19. If you design it I will build
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

3D see through color mode is a normal feature in Rhino4.0
    press ctrl+Alt+G (Ghost Display mode) your surface/polysurface objects will be see through.