Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Glad to see you back.. Whew :p thought something may have happened to you or the model.. Scary..
  2. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi all
    Today I have a report to show about the piping work. It's not completed yet. I cut long pipe lines into 2 or 3 sections/line for easier bending and installation.
  3. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Great details .. Love it Looooove it...
  4. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Kooklik, DUDE!

Museum quality doesn't even begin to describe your work :eek:

5. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I've been following this thread since the beginning, salivating at the opportunity to build this magnificent beast. But, the more Kooklik post pictures of his progress, the more intimidated I am at the build. I just don't think I could do the model justice!

Now, if you could offer the kit complete, with all the wires prebent, laser cut pieces, etc, then I might feel more at ease :) Seriously, I am in awe of your work thus far and can't even imagine what the loco itself will look like.

Will we be able to order this at double-scale? :) If and when I build this, I want it to take up an entire wall!!
  6. hmas

hmas Member

get a bit of practise on some of the other models to build your confidence.:thumb:
    Also there are a lot of items ie some of the wires etc that you can omit & that will not detract from a models appearance.
    Yes Kooklik has provided more than the usual amount of detail. But if you feel it's too much leave some of it off, I guarantee almost no-one will notice from 5 feet away ( keep a baseball bat handy for those that do, when they wake up they won't remember anyway sign1)
    Patience is what will be required to assemble this kit& lots of it! I have designed & built similar model trains in 1/30 scale (13 of 1 model in fact) & it took 4 yrs wall1 of my life almost full time, it was not as a hobby endeavor after hrs.
  7. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Tony for your reply to Bugman's question.
    There's a question in papermodelers.com asked me how I bent the wires. Hope the answer is useful to here too.
    I bend wire following the templates. Also these templates will be a part of the kit.
    Please see the sample below.
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Last night I built one side of Tank Ladder. I like it alot especially when I finished coloring and did some oil dirty.

I have a picture to show pipes layout under the tool box.
  9. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Awesome man... Simply awesome. I love all those details.
  10. MauricePoison

MauricePoison New Member

Bonjour, je regarde avec admiration la construction de ce superbe modéle.
    Vivement qu'il soit en vente.
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello MauricePoison
    Thanks for those kind words. Ofcourse I will release as a commercial kit. I can't estimate exactly when. I may spend more 8-12 months for engine design/build. And 6 months or more for volunteers' test building/debugging.
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Ronson2K3
    Hope you like these details too.

Ladder making

Completed left tank ladder

Train line piping

Brake line piping
  13. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Spectacular as always. I love how the ladder looks welded too. In the closeup. The details are amazing. Kinda sad :( on your outlook for completion. I know it's a tremendous job and tons of work will have gone into this superb model. I know find myself wondering how long it took to build the 1:1 scale version..

Update: From what I've been able to gather they built 5 a year or 1 every 70 days. That's fricken fast for a loco that size. I think it takes nearly that long now to build a diesel.

Anyway this project has inspired me to create something similar. Well not similar in that it's a bridge not a locomotive. But the techniques used here had me thinking I could do a bridge in much the same way.. For my layout.

See me thread for those interested.

Keep up the great work .. Looking forward to every update..
  14. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello all
    The report for the past week.

Electrical Fitting Receptance

Brake Valves and Backup light switch

Close up shots for valves and switch
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Brake valves detail

16. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

K, you just never cease to amaze me, your work with paper is just fascinating.
  17. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Stunning as always. Clearly there are more details here then on the actual Big Boy.. Kidding ;) Keep up the great work
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there
    This week I added steam heat pipes. These steam pipes are stoker drive's power source. I used 2.5mm O/D copper wire for the pipes. I also added 3 union joints to the longer line. These joints are not seen in drawings. I found in Big Boy-4023 pictures.
    More parts be added more careful during assembly. Yesterday I broke some parts by mistake! But it was not so terrible. All were well fixed.

19. hmas

hmas Member

What is this, pick the model from the real thing?:wave:
    mind you yours looks better:thumb:

I hope you are not modelling the inspection lights on the track base, like the real one sign1
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Haha thank you Tony.. Did you mention to the small white light behide the track? I didn't see it until you noticed me.