Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I want to see a photo of Kooklik holding the tender. :)
  2. hmas

hmas Member

The tender.... what?:p
  3. Kooklik,
    First let me say you are a master model builder. I can't get over what details you get with a paper model. My hat is off to you!!!

For the brake lines you can look for a plastic string used for beading. I use it for air hose on model railroad cars and it's great to work with as it's light and glues well.

Can you tell me about the cutter you use. Can it cut plastic or only paper? Can you just insert plastic sheets into the cutter or do you have to use supplies from the manufacture of the cutter? I was thinking of using it to cut styrene for model building. Thanks for any comments or help on the cutter.
  4. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

HMAS would probably be able to tell more then me the scale of the live steamer but it looks like maybe twice your size? Perhaps 1/24th. I've been looking up the big boy online trying to find as much info as I can on it (for when I build mine hehe). There are some really great sites out there. I also wanted to see 'remember we were talking about motorizing' to see the actual big boy ever had such a calamity?. Thankfully AFAIK .. There had never been a derailment. Given it's bulk it would probably shatter into pieces.

Great pics of the big boy though.. Everytime I look at it I can't get over the size. It's not just big it's BIG. I live not to far away from the Elgin County Railway Museum.

They have a Hudson there and it's big but the big boy is to that what a monster truck is to a SUV. The running gear is what I notice to be some what 'regular' size to a degree everything else huge.

And yes even with your hand on the tender (Locomotive Tender HMAS LOL) would make a fine photo.
  5. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks for kind comments.
    The cutting machine is designed for cutting paper 230 grms (max) or sticker sheet. Once I used for cutting OHP sheet , it's ok. But I don't think it will work well with any plastic material which thicker or harder than OHP.
    The cutter blade is original designed for the machine.
    Best Regards
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Draw gear

I was busy in the past week. I had less time spent to my hobby. Anyway the project still goes on. I built a draw gear and some parts.
  7. kooklik,
    Thanks for the comments on the cutting tool but I have to ask one more because when you work with styrene you don't need to cut the entire way through the material only score the surface will provide you a way to snap the material into 2 would work. The real question is the thicker plastic able to be run through the cutter without damage to the cutter? If so I can then snap the styrene by hand after it's scored.

Keep up the great work! I can't get over what you've done with paper!!!
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Dave
    If only scoring on a styrene surface you can do that without modifying anything. In the kit there is a pen holder , you may use a fine tip magic pen to draw patterns then cut by hand.
  9. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very cool.. I was kind of waiting to see the knuckle (coupler). Looks great.
  10. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Ronson2k3
    Today I have fire hose box to report. Handles and door locks are very tiny. It was rather difficult to bend those wires. But after I bent the first one the next ones are easier to do.

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

amazing! thanks for the updates :)
  12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very Very cool. It just more and more incredible every time I see an update..
  13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks for all words.
    Again more report for the ladders. I just finished them last night. After airbrushing I added light rusty weathering by brush.
    Cheerss :mrgreen:
  14. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Stunning as always. The size really lets you get those details and that's why I love your model. The size just seems right to me. The little HO one I have is cool but there are so many details that I see on this one that would be impossible to see on the HO version.

Keep up the great work .. :thumb:
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

I may can't put much details if I do in 1:48.
    OK still do some parts for front of tender. Grabs and vertical hand rail. I use 0.8mm copper wire for grabs and 1.2 mm for vertical hand rail.

Grabs + Vertical Hand Rail (Left side only)

16. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

You're killing me man. That is awesome work on those grab irons. What kind of glue did you use to glue those in place. They seem perhaps a bit heavy for wood or white glue to hold? Then there is the copper to card connection too. Glue that works on one may not work so well on the other?

Awesome job though. :thumb:
  17. kooklik

kooklik Member

I used latex glue for holding those grab irons. Adjust position then filnally fix by super glue(cyano achrilic glue).
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello there
    More than 2 weeks I have not updated the report. I added more details to tender's piping and electric conduit.
    There're 3 kinds of pipe line those will connect with the engine.
    1. Train Line (grey and bigger than others)
    2. Brake Line (pink)
    3. Signal Line (green)

Piping work..
    Conduit line is the most inner position so I start from this line first. It contains with 1 switch and 4 junction boxes.
  19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: DUDE!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  20. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Oh MANNNNN!!! NICE!!!!!