Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I second that idea. Kooklik, you should think about how to package this. Not only from a practical standpoint (the assembly documentation alone is going to be considerable in size) but from a compensation angle. Now, maybe you are a wealthy man who needs no job, and can spend his days leisurely designing models ... but if you are not, I hope you are thinking about how to best market this remarkable achievement. :)
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

For the brake line tubing, some other ideas ... I occasionally read the model railroad forums, they sometimes use the insulation from wires (comes in different sizes and colors), or solder (also available in different sizes, can be made to hang realistically).
  3. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

If that's the way you read "over land moving" ... wow, for a picky guy, I can't believe you completely overlooked the airships that were FAR larger than any sub or battleship - at some US airship bases, the airships were routinely towed around "over land" by mobile cranes on rains. Wouldn't those also count under your interpretation? ;)
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi ArtDecko
    The turning to product is the thing I always consider while I do designing. U-Boat project gave me experience to make a thing be a product. Right now the tender is closing to be completed. I do tender without part numbering yet. I may soon forget them if I don't start to do it.:mrgreen:
    Best Regards
  5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I'm just excited I guess. Not wanting to step on any toes.

Everyone can build a model in there own way. One of my other hobbies is Jewelery making that's why I mentioned that. Tools work for both so it's a win/win .. I was only thinking that you could write down in general where you got the thing your adding from (eg Hardware Store/Craft Store) so that a person looking for the same thing later will know where to look. You can and I have spent hours and hours online trying to find something at times. It's both a blessing and course to have such a great source of information. Especially small things. I have a catalog from a Jewelery supplier that is 700pgs and that's just raw parts to make jewelery with. Their tools catalog is over 400pgs.

I don't want to slow his building down and talking about a book is a bit of distraction (slapping myself upside my head). I see the work he's doing and want to see him get as much recognition as possible for that. As large as our community is it's not as big as I'm thinking his work could benefit.

In anycase. I know it's going to be a tremendous model and I'm enjoying every update. Just when I think he may let a detail slide by.. there it is.. I'm no expert on the big boy. I have a small HO model of one (non powered). Hey I was a kid at the time ;). From a static model standpoint his is going to be one of the biggest. On that I'm sure we can both agree.

HMAS - I apologize if ran over your toes. Not wanting to do that just had a rush of creative thought.

Kooklik - Looking forward to every update. Documentation is important though..

As for myself. I'll try to keep my creative energy in check or atleast channel it in a less destractive way.. I know that creativity can be contagious :)
  6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Please, change that head-slapping to back-slapping. I think that idea was well worth sharing!

There are many ways Kooklik could go with this, for example a DVD *video* assembly guide could possibly make this model more appealing in markets beyond our tiny card modeling world. Adding value like some historical information makes perfect sense. I hope Kooklik considers all sorts of possibilities, such as offering it (perhaps optionally) as a laser-cut model.

Ideas like these could not only win Kooklik wider recognition and compensation for this masterpiece, but, by giving the model broader appeal, could also serve to raise awareness of this still little-known hobby.

Digital card modeling is still a very new and emerging art form, we are only beginning to scratch the surface in terms of subjects, techniques, styles, technology ... even marketing. Forums like this are great for airing new concepts and breaking new ground (as Kooklik amply demonstrates). New ideas and out-of-the box thinking should always be encouraged around here, it benefits everyone. :thumb:
  7. hmas

hmas Member

8. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Thanks guys. I'm trying to help as best I can 'Remotely'. Believe me I want to get my hands on the files for this loco asap too.. I know it's going to be awhile though. Not a problem kooklik. Take all the time you need ;)

I'm thinking from a designer standpoint alone you're at the very tip of tech for building models. Still I'm sure your learning more each day.

It would be good to add a new tips and techniques for the big boy. There are I'm sure tons of things that would be good for many different models that will come from this one. They were talking about different types of cardboard for different applications I thought a list of the various sources and sizes and applications would be good. A master list of card you could say. The beading thing springs from the need to get very tiny parts without having to buy something much larger and scrounging from that. Saving time and money.

-- For the hoses there are the connecting points and knuckles were the hose changes direction sharply. The smallness of the hose did surprise but then it's a huge locomotive. Just didn't have that in mind at the time ;). If you take a look over to the left :cry: you will notice the C AND O. I'd love to use some of these techniques to build a good sized Diesel (the era I'm modeling is in the late 50's). Probably a GP9. I still want the big boy though BAD.. I know the C&O had many fine steam locomotives and it would be cool to do an Allegheny but even they have to take a bow when the big boy comes to town or in this case my room ;)..

Getting back on track as it were. In essence we are all pretty much scratch builders in a very pure form. So all the stuff we build with have to be found. Some is recycled some is reapplied, most is created. That's what makes this form of model making so exciting for me. The thought you can take a box you were eating cereal out of one day and turn that into an important part of a model the next.

Anyway I know kooklik is doing a terrific job. Both in having the courage to tackle this subject and in this size. When it comes to models I like things big. More details can never hurt. He has that in great quantity. I would even say that the size for this model is pretty perfect. I would imagine that when 1:1 scale big boy made and appearance people stopped to watch. I know I wouldn't pass up that show. A model of it needs to go 'Hey - over here' and I'm sure this one will do that.

So. Cool idea to get a thread going on Big Boy tips and techniques. I have a feeling the harder part is coming up. Not that it's been easy so far for Kooklik. I'm thinking the cab is going to be a challenge to be sure. Pressure and control lines could be done with wire? Something stiff but not to hard to bend and maybe a jig/frame to bend it on. All the gauges are the challenging part I'm thinking. Given what he did for the rear light I'm really looking forward to what he does on the cab. The bigger parts should go pretty smoothly 'tongue in cheek' I'm sure there are many more surprises in store for us with the level of details being brought to bare on this model.

Keep up the great work kooklik. If you have any need of assistance for something just give us a shout. We all have a creative thinking caps on. I'm sure if you get stuck on something we can help find a solution.
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all

A lot of good ideas I've found from here and many forums in world wide. I copied and sometimes I created my own depend on what materials of equipments I can find here. I would be glad if someones share their tips or suggestions. All words in the thread are worth for building him.

BTW , I've just found another error. When I laid the tank on the chassis. I found some wave on the edges of tank's skin. (see in the picture). It causes by tank's internal frame design mistake. So I made supports to straighten up those waving edges. (see another picture). It seems to be OK. I'll correct the internal frame in the beta test stage.

Waving edge

Supports to correct
  10. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Perhaps humidity could have done that? It's good that you found a pretty easy fix for it. How did the documenting go? Just curious.. I'm glad you have so much help. That will ge the model done just a bit faster ;) I myself can't wait to see what's next for the big boy.

I do think trying to motorize it would be pretty hard. Not that the temptation isn't a great one and from the size of things could be easily accommodated. If anything perhaps the Tender could be motorized and then if the locomotive portion was light enough and sturdy enough could be pushed around a 'O' scale track. After working so long on such a model the thought of a derailment could spell a real disaster..

I was looking at the real big boy just to get a few idea's flowing. The valves in the cab could be a challenge. Not as many gauges as I had thought there would be but loads of valves. They are of various sizes. I measured my hand and figure the valves would be about 5.5 inches (1:1) so at 1/48th that's about 3/32 of an inch. I'm sure you have more precise info. Perhaps a printed handle will do very well in this case.

I myself don't know where you're headed next in the Big Boy adventure. I am trying to find the spots that could be of difficulty and perhaps smooth them out a bit.

As always looking forward to your next update..
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Perhaps it caused by the humidity. First day I did not see anything be wavy, until a few days passed.

For motorization , modelers may adapt to be motorized. But I think it would be double or triple times harder job. In my design, most of moving parts are individual. Modelers may adapt it with not too much modifications. Good luck if someone wants to try.

This weekend I'll go back to visit my mom for cerebrating the Chinese new year here. I may not have much progress in this weekend.

Best wishes to you all and "Happy Chinese New Year :)"

12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

With the humidity making a note:

The big parts need to be re-enforced/protected so that humidity won't effect them. Especially the cab and the larger flat parts of the engine. When the card has been curved (card is compressed) it is much less susceptible to effects of humidity. One of the differences between wood and plastic. Although plastic can warp too from heat.

Perhaps protecting the edges of the cut (exposed) card with a sealant. Say a diluted (water/paper glue) mix. I don't know what a good ratio would be. Perhaps (70/30 water/glue) could need to experiment a bit on that. As you are painting the outside afterward it would need to accept paint as still let it be able to be glued in place.

-- If someone has done that already please advise.. If you know a good ratio or other way of sealing it would be really helpful.

I'm sure you can use the break and I hope you have a great new year celebration. I look forward to your next update as always.
  13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Ronson2k3 for your advises. I added the reinforce pieces as i mentioned by the previous pictures. It was straighten up well.
    I spent a day for the new year. But I have some free time to do some little progress for Big Boy.

The dust protection plates for suspensions

Millipede wheel link guards

14. hmas

hmas Member

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
  15. hmas

hmas Member

I think I said mounted on blocks first re motorising it. Reason the wheel flanges are to scale, not oversize as the models are, that alone would lead to derailments, even when very large radius curves are used.
    Motorising is easy.... a Tamiya worm & wheel coupled to a 3v kids toy motor will do the job
  16. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

HMAS - Really. That sounds like it would work. One other thing that could be done perhaps more then the 'full motion' rolling on track. Would be to 'Animate' the locomotive. You would need to lift it just a hair above the track but would make a really cool display. Lit with rolling action. More work in design and building though. It would then have to make sure the wheels axels are in a bushing perhaps to keep them from wearing (if rotating). Add some sound and man. That could be really quite cool.

Kooklik - Cool. You always make me go oh ya... so very cool. You continue to amaze.
  17. hmas

hmas Member

Ronson2k3 did you not read msg 298???
    item copied from my earlier msg

Ok now motorising it I cannot go into specifics as I don't know about it yet.
    A axles that will be turning need to be plastic /wood.
    B the holes in the chassis will need to have something like a plastic straw as a bearing.
    C to have the wheels turning loco must be raised onto blocks to support it
    D do NOT use it on a real train track or model track to try to pull coaches or wagons.
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

I have a picture of tender with a ruler for referrence. ruler's length is 1' (30 cm).
    Sorry I forget to post it before until someone asked me at papermodelers.com.

19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Yep I did.. Sorry bout that. Clearly 'C/D' indicate 'Animation' not moving down track. I didn't catch that when I read it the first time. I'm a model railroader too so when someone mentioned motorizing it. I jumped to the 'rolling on track thing'.

Kooklik - Looking awesome man. Looks like about 2 feet for the Tender. You're going to need a yard/meter stick when you're finished ;) I keep a measuring tape at my computer desk for measuring stuff quickly while I'm online :)

Your attention to detail is truly inspiring.
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Ronson2k3
    The model lenght will be 1.5 m(include tender). I'll make a shelf on the wall to display.

I have some pictures of steam powered Big Boy. I don't know what scale is. Hope this may be interesting for you.