Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cauesousa6

cauesousa6 New Member

superb work, i want one:mrgreen:, maybe wen you release you can put some tips on wheatering:mrgreen: keep the awesome work
  2. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

You're killing us out here man. jawdrop

This is really great stuff. I hadn't thought of it before but working lamps on this would be really quite cool and given the size rather easy to implement?

I just can't wait for more updates..
  3. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Mark Crowel for you kind words to me. Now a day computer programs help alot for designers to design their work more complex and fine. Before I designed my first work. I saw many big and complex models. I surprised how they created those magnificents without computers. They are great talents.:thumb:
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

I did not take the photo of weathering. Anyway , I still have alot of tender skins to do. I'll fill the explanation with clear photos in the next steps. I base painted the skin by air brush. And brushed the water stain by white brush-on (donated by my wife). For oil dirty I brushed with Tamiya's weathering master set D (oil dirty). For more details i'll explain with photos.
    Best Regards
  5. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Ronson2k3. When I finished the lamp set I soon tried with a mini-blub on the Christmas Tree. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo. It's bright and beautiful as much as I expected. I'd prepared wiring inside the tank frame for the lamp.
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Art Decko. Many sub-assembly parts are ready now. I may combine all together in this weekend.
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

You hand punched all those rivets?:eek::thumb:
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Yes, you guessed right. I punched from the back side of paper. Then airbrush.
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all
    Thanks for asking about rivets making and some tips. I had prepared rivets making pictures. Unfortunately weathering making I have not done yet.
    1. Mirror printing for punching from reverse side.
    2. Punch from backside on cutting mat. If too much pressure the paper is penetrated. !

10. kooklik

kooklik Member

I have to make decal because i do painting by airbrush. I cut decal masking by CraftROBO and placed on its position. Masking material is paper tape. It's not too strong adhesive and easily to remove later. Then paint black color by airbrush. Remove masking after the painting is completely dried.
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Attach the tank's skins.
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Coal gates and Tool boxes.
  13. hmas

hmas Member

The level of detail far surpases the $18K live steam models, that sometimes just sit on the shelves, as collector items!
  14. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I agree the level is tremendous. A real inspiration to me as to what is possible when you put your mind to something.
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Tony and Ronson2k3 for those nice words. I have more progression to report. Hope you enjoy looking.
    Cheers :D

16. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looks like the tender is nearly done. I'm looking forward to see how you build the coupler. Hoses could be a challenge if done in paper but I think I would use a piece of rubber tubing for that (Aquarium or Fuel line tubing perhaps). I don't know what kind of connections besides that of tender to train would look like. I'm sure I will see though.

Such a great job. It's truly fantastic.
  17. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Ronson2k3
    Thank you for giving suggestions. For the tube connections I have not put into the digital design yet. But I think I'll use small rubber tubes to make coupling when connect to the engine. The tender gets close to the final. But still have a lot of small details such as ladders , compressed air/steam tubing, valves draw gears fire host box ect to do.
    Best Regards
  18. hmas

hmas Member

OK from an old derelik, who grew up with steam & still plays with it!
    We have a 1/25 model so we will work on 1/2" to the foot scale or 12.5mm to the foot.
    1/4" = 6" 1/8= 3" 1/16" =1.5"
    Where is this going well fuel line/aquarium tubing will be too BIG!
    For air/ steam lines may I suggest 2mm or 1/8" tubing or rat the shoe cupboard for a thin round shoe lace. This gives a better apearance ( in the old daze the pipes were rubber interior & a rubberized canvas outer ) than anything else* IMHO.

Ok now motorising it I cannot go into specifics as I don't know about it yet.
    A axles that will be turning need to be plastic /wood.
    B the holes in the chassis will need to have something like a plastic straw as a bearing.
    C to have the wheels turning loco must be raised onto blocks to support it
    D do NOT use it on a real train track to try to pull coaches or wagons.

* I recall a thread on making finned cylinders for aircraft engines that could be adapted to hoses for trains

Honest I'm not trying to hijack Kookliks thread:mrgreen:
  19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Okay .. Was just thinking of tubing sources more so then actual dimensions. Boot Lace seems like a great idea to me too.. I remember the lines are covered with something. You could even use the tip of the lace (aglet - I looked it up ;)) for the hose connection point. Could spray the lace(hose) with some hair spray to make it stiffer or thread a thin piano wire or twist tie) through the lace to make it moldable. Depending on what you want the hose to do.

Found this link..
    (click on the AAR Hose and Coupling that the current American standard)

They describe there AAR Brake Hoses as 53mm outer diameter. At 1/48th size that's 1.1mm thick..

So even a piece of 17gauge wire would work.. Should be able to find that at your local hardware or electrical parts store.

I really like HMAS's idea though. A shoe lace is probably cheaper and easier to find plus the aglet makes for a good coupler. Dress Shoe lace I'm thinking as they are usually the thinnest. It does have the aglet on the end and you can thread a thin twist tie (garbage tie wire) down it to make it hold it's shape. If your looking to add some more details to the hose. You could try a craft store for Beads (jewellery making). Could find something there to add more dimension to the hoses. If/When you add stuff that your aren't say 'manufacturing' yourself to the model remember to take pics of what you bought and where.. So that when sell this 'book' I'm pretty sure. The reader will have all the details.

I don't know why I thought it would be so big. I guess all those great picks had my imagination flowing. But HMAS is right it is quite thin despite the size of the locomotive. Brake Lines only hold brakes open after all. As for the steam other lines you would probably need to look that up for the Big Boy itself. I'm sure they were standard sizes but custom for that locomotive.

I get chills just thinking what a modeled (perhaps lit) cab would look like. If you are going to model the cab interior (I would try anyway). I would find a way to make sure I could see it.. In Fact.. I would probably model a second cab not attached to the locomotive as it's own display piece to show the office of this big bad boy...

PS: and Update ;)

You could turn this into a Book + CD/DVD
    - Book (all the instructions plus photos and experiences of your build)
    - CD/DVD of all the parts plus a digital version of the book. (parts - instructions hyperlinked together).

Your build is taking on monumental proportions and could easily be turned into a book. Not only from the most needed instructions standpoint but your experience as a modeler. I have books with lots less in them that I've bought. Just so you know. I'm not a publisher but you should perhaps concider doing something like that. Something of this dimension can have far reaching effects. It's a model (over 4 foot model) of the largest over land moving man made object on the planet. People that aren't perhaps even interested in trains may want to tackel something like this.

So looking forward to your next update.
  20. hmas

hmas Member

* ditto
    maybe a new thread on tips & hints might be in order as a co-running thread with this?