Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kooklik

kooklik Member

Coil Spring and Brakes

Assembly 4 sets of coil springs (front x 2 , back x 2) then insert from top of chassis.

2. Louis R

Louis R Member

What a Mammonth undertaking but so beautifully built. You are master card designer and model maker. I bought your U-Boat and was amazed but this is a real show stopper IMHO.
  3. kooklik

kooklik Member

Tank roof

There's a box on the tank near water filling hole which I don't know what it for.

4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Water filling holes

3 sets of water filling hole. Putting an internal former makes easier to assembly.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hmmmmm can you try to add a little more detail?? HAH! just kidding this is looking great!
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you for your kind words Louis. Big Boy is a great challange subject for me to do. It may take longer time than i expect. Hope it be on your shelf beside the U-Boat too.
    Best Regards
  7. kooklik

kooklik Member

Or you want it be operateable? Steam powered 1/25 Big Boy :D. You or some mechanical experts may do it. sign1

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It doesnt really work? Dang, I suppose I will return that coal I just bought :)
  9. maltedfalcon

maltedfalcon New Member

looks like you have your sources well in hand
    but there is a big boy 10 minutes from here if you need photos of any part to clarify.
    let me know.
  10. kchallen

kchallen New Member

Building this monster

I've been follwoing this build since the start, and it's going to be the ultimate in card models.

In term of the build, and based on my skill its going to be a long term project, so would you consider releasing the Big Boy to the public in stages, and as your advanced on the tender, could that be stage one, so we can all get started and then await the engine?

What do you think, if not will there be the posibility of a early release for a few customers to Beta test the build. (one can only hope)

Your in amazment and your humble servantsign1

11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you maltedfalcon
    10 minutes ! wow I feel like I'm designing beside the real Big Boy. I may need your pictures especially when do coloring.

Best Regards
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

I'm thinking about section release but not for commercial. During the prototype stage , I still have some of problems which I'll correct after the tender is finished. I will release and have some volunteers to test it.
    Thanks for your worth suggestions.
    Best Regards
  13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Coloring and weathering on the water tank by Tamiya's weatering set type D.
  14. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Now cut that out.. That looks awesome. It's going to take you a good part of a year to complete I'm thinking but it's going to be a treasure to have I'm sure.

I'm curious and you perhaps don't know the answer but how much card have you used on the tender so far?

Keep that awesome work flowing. Man it's a site to behold everytime I see an update.
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Ronson2k3 , all words in the posts are also treasures for me.
    I have not yet manage the parts to A4 pages well. Now I spend 45 pages. 17 pages are card board. I expect 50 pages for tender.
  16. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

This is the most magnificent card model I have ever seen, and I have been building card models for almost 30 years. The detail and complexity are amazing, and the workmanship is perfectly flawless. Few of us will ever reach this level of skill. This is not flattery, it is fact.
  17. MauricePoison

MauricePoison New Member

I am impatient I shall buy this model
  18. Louis R

Louis R Member

You bet it will Kooklik........ as they say "Rome wasn't build in a day" and I can truelly understand why it is taking you so long. I imagine the instructions for this beauty will be equally as time consuming as is your design and build of it.
    Keep up the great progress pictures here!
  19. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Louis. As you said the instruction making also takes time. When I did the U-Boat instruction , it took as long as building. The beast is growing up slowly but never stop.

Tender's Head Light. I designed to place a mini blub inside.

Mounting test on the back skin
  20. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Kooklik, I will just say that you are a Card Modeling God.
    :inw: :inw: :inw: