Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kooklik

kooklik Member

Place rivets to the chassis. Use minimum glue to the placing point and stick the rivet one by one. Becareful not too strong press on it. It takes time but very good result.
  2. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Brilliant Idea!!!!:thumb:
  3. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Those rivets look amazing, Kooklik! :eek:
  4. MauricePoison

MauricePoison New Member

Manufacture of rivets.

You use the sheet on the block and you drill with the punching? or you cut rounds of 2.5 MM you form on the block with the punching? .
  5. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi MauricePoison
    Sorry for my unclear explanation. I explained in basic method. For faster making , I use CraftROBO to pre-cut those rounds. And pressed on array die.

To make array die:
    I printed pattern on a sheet and lay on the PE300. Punch along to the printed pattern.

Array rivets making:
    Pre-cut array rounds by CraftROBO (sticker cutting machine). Lay on the array die. Press one by one.

6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Chassis's skin:
    Use 190 grms paper. No coloring yet , I'll paint later when all skins and parts are ready.
  7. kooklik

kooklik Member

New Water & Coal Tank
    The picture displays the right side of the tank.

8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Tender's back plate
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

Fitting test for all tank frames.
    Old and New
  10. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

It's clear this is becoming a museum quality model.. Can't wait for each of the updates.

Keep up the spectacular work..
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you for nice word Ronson. I'll do best.
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Small change on millipede wheel suspension unit.
  13. MauricePoison

MauricePoison New Member

14. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi MauricePoison

Thank you for your interresting to my track. I have to improve some bugs. I'll inform you as soon as possible when it's ready.
    Ty2 is a fine designed model. I saw your laser cut drive wheels. It's incredible. :thumb:
    I'm sure that will be another high quality model.

Best Regards
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Wheels mounting.
    Wheels aligment adjust is easier and good result. Less frame deforming. Strength seems OK. I'll do loading test after the glue completely hardened.

16. Padre

Padre Guest

All I can say is "WOW!"
  17. nurung

nurung New Member

Master Piece!
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Nurung and Padre. I tried painting by airbrush. I painted in flat black (Color: Mr.Color(Gunze Sangyo) No.33). It's well looking. All white edge were simply removed. Airbrush may be good for prototype making. Anyway coloring by photo editor program will be done at the final.

Suspension unit for middle millipede wheels.

All parts are well fit as the design.
  19. fatihy71

fatihy71 New Member

Kooklik, I can't find words to tell my admiration about this great work.I've read all the forum long but could not deduce whether(or when) your "big boy" design will be available commercially. Sorry if I'm asking an already answered question.

Best wishes&merry christmas
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Happy new year to all
    Thanks for looking at my work. I wish to release the finest Big Boy. It may take more than a year from now to release. Hope fine things I add to Big Boy could enjoy you all. Some steps are difficult and cause me to work hard to solve , but I won't give up this project. :mrgreen: