Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. WOW This thing is awsome and breath taking at the same time. Can't wait to see what is next!!!!

2. kooklik

kooklik Member

Step back !!

Hi to all
    It seemed no any progression in serveral weeks ago since I finished the tender truck. I found some problems about the structure strength. Wheels , chassis and bearing are too weak. They were deformed cuased by the model weight. I used too thin paper for load receiving points. I re-designed those parts in the many weeks.

I found many problems during assemblying the suspension sets to the chassis. Less space , unable to see some points ect. It would be better if separate the tank from the chassis.

Chassis is the the first new design section. All parts are made from card board. I think this should be enough for heavy weight loading.

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

4. kooklik

kooklik Member

The pictures of damaged parts
    Bearing deformed

Damaged bearing's hole (loosen)

Wheel deformed
  5. kooklik

kooklik Member

New designed wheel. Internal frame added for better strength

Tender-151.JPG .
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Fitting test with new bearings.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

amazing work!
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Wow, do you cut these parts by hand, or do you have a pattern cutter of some sort?
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

All cardboard parts I cut them by hand. For thin paper I cut by sticker cutting machine.
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Excellent workmanship...I've just called my broker to roll all my assets over to Xacto knife blades...:mrgreen::thumb:
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

Watching this model take shape is almost as much fun as building it!
  12. MauricePoison

MauricePoison New Member

Sale of model

Hello, how splendid achievement.
    Do you intend to sell this model when it is completed, as underwater.
  13. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi MauricePoison
    I'll release as a commercial kit. But still very long from now.:mrgreen:

14. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Silly question, from someone who doesn't know much about card modeling, but what do you use for glue for something like that?

This sticker cutting machine, is it what we call a "plotter" or "Vinyl Cutter"? I have one, and often wondered if it'd cut cardstock like this.
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi CCT70
    Thanks for asking.
    For the glue , I use latex glue for ordinary paper joining. But in some points which need extra strenght such as wheel frame I use super glue.

For the sticker cutting machine. Yes as you've mentioned, it works as a plotter too. But my machine can cut 230 grms for maximum thickness. All cardboard (1mm thick paper for the frame) I cut it by hand.

Best Regards
  16. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

And if I may what is the brand for that plotter ?:oops:
  17. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

great Work!! really looking good!!!!
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

19. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Thanks I will look into it:wave:
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Finished all wheels last week. And back to the chassis again.
    I spent a few weeks to find suitable materials for making rivets. I found nothing here. Finally I returned to paper. I'll explain by picture step by step.

Making 2.0 mm paper rivet
    1. Make a punch. Use O/D 2.0 mm shaft and grind the tip to be round shape.

2. Make a die by punching the rounded shaft to a soft plastic or aluminuim bar. In the picture , I use PE 300 (a grade of Poly Eurythane).

3. Place the O/D 2.5 mm 70 grms paper on the die. And press by rounded shaft

4. Completed 2.0 mm paper rivet