Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Well it's been a while since I've looked in on the build and my first thought was bloody hell. Amazing progress.
  2. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

Bad Links on New Post

Hi, kooklik. Let me say what a superb thread this has turned out to be. No amount of words or smilies can convey the pleasure I get out of following this thread.

However, there's a problem with your last post. I've posted to the Announcements forum Server Upgrade thread to report it:

Hope it gets fixed soon - I'm hanging out for some more of your magnificent inspiration. :thumb:
  3. hmas

hmas Member

I think it's a board thing?
    If you right click they take you back to the home page, but if you left click it will bring them up in a new window.
    To get here from the email notification I was redirected to the "/forum/index.php?page=showthread&marker" page not this thread nor your posting?? :curse:velly strange
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Try to post again
    Thank you bruce to let me know the problem.
    1. Parts set

2. Insert suspension to frame.

3. Insert both bearing sets and taking balance.

4. Fix bearings

5. Completed first wheel set

The wheels are rotatable.
  5. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

Thanks Tony, ah yes - left-click brings up the cute new 'ghost' window with the piccie in it. :thumb: There's a few links from forum to forum that keep dumping me in the 'home' page too! I'll have to start noting which ones and forward them on to someone.

Thanks for the re-post kooklik. It's showing with the pictures embedded as usual. Your work really is an inspiration. :thumb::thumb::thumb: It's inspired me to dig out all my old PC 3D graphics stuff, scour the 'net for info, and start on a 1:33 scale 'plane. The 'real' Sopwith Tabloid Schneider Cup winner, not the one the plastic kit guys do, nor the grossly non-scale FG one (which does make a cute beginner's model and can be modded to get it to fit, but not enough for scale). So far plenty of mistakes, but that's how we learn isn't it? But I digress... :oops: All the previous posts are still just showing placeholders.

In the last hour, some forum pages have been taking several minutes to come up, sometimes nothing comes up and I also got one 'database error' page. So it looks like something isn't going according to plan...:curse: Haven't heard anything from any admin peoples yet.

Gotta go do some building now. Thanks again for your superb thread.:wave:
  6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Bruceuncle
    Hope the database is OK now.

The beta building is going slowly. I have some problem with accuracy. Some parts are well fit in computer. But in the actual, human errors , material errors (shrink , bent , wavely) cuased them be differrent from the digital model. I have to re-design to solve those errors.

7. kooklik

kooklik Member

Trying to paint wheel surface with silver magic pen.
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Mock up rail.
  9. kooklik

kooklik Member

Rail and Base test build
    I tried 3 versions (light , meduim , heavy rusty) of rail coloring. Meduim rusty looks best.

10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:That is just one incredible piece of work, just unreal.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you shaygetz ,
    Hope everyone like the rail.
  12. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

dude, that rail section looks like a square Bachman EZ track, except 100 times more realistic!:eek:

I don't like it, I LOVE it!:mrgreen:
  13. hmas

hmas Member

14. bclemens

bclemens Member

Kooklik, I don't know how you do it, but please just keep on doing it!
  15. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all and thanks for all kind comments.
    I picked some rail photos from internet. Edit by photoshop then make patterns and fill into the unrolled surfaces. It looks like simple but I tried and failed many times.
    Texture material

First completed rail

Preparing for next section
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Even these rails looks awefully detailed! Go Kooklik!
  17. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Lex
    Now I have 4 sets of rails enough for tender. Now I'm unfold some remained suspension parts.
  18. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Keep up this wonderful work !!!
  19. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Masterful work! Really enjoyable to watch it "unfold"! :)
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Art Deco and 4x4paper thank you.
    Last week I re-designed some parts of suspension. And this is the final.

Suspension Links ( for Leaf Spring)

Coil Spring (1.4 mm. diameter copper wire 4turns)

Coil Spring shaft