Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/48 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kooklik

kooklik Member

As i mentioned in the last of U-Boat thread about the next project. I would like to introduce "UNION PACIFIC BIG BOY 4-8-8-4" in 1/48 scale. The model length is 870 mm (34 inch) include tender. BIG BOY is known as the largest steam engine , weight of 500 ton , 120 km/hr maximum speed. This machine is very impressive. I wish to put as much details as paper can do. Internal links , suspensions , brake system will be added.
    The model is designed based on original drawings from "Union Pacific"(30us$ in CD format). 3600 drawings are contained in CD. The drawings were drawn since 1939. No layer separation as todays' CAD drawing. I took very long time to get understand with some drawings.
    Same as U-Boat , I'll design and build then report the progression. This project prototype building will be in color version.
    I started to draw 3D 1 month ago. I try to put realistic machanism parts as much as i can understand the drawings.
    OK.... let see the starting of BIG BOY

BIG BOY pic

Start drawing from front engine

Then fill more details to Engine Truck

Addition suspension links.
  2. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

wow ! this one look so nice so far !
    bon courage.

3. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Kezn

Your designs are awful i'm following your threads.

4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Coming from Kooklik, I just know this one will be awesome!!
  5. Padre

Padre Guest

Dang! Now something else I have to buysign1. So little time, so much to do! I will have to cut into my sleep time to finish what I have half finished, not started and hope to do.sign1............and now another one to add to the list. I cannot pass up the quality of Kooklik's work:thumb:
  6. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Big Boy? Oh no! My weakness, large steam! :thumb: I know this one will be awesome, but I will probably never be able to build one. I don't have the skill for something so detailed and intricate as one of Kooklik's models. I've been wanting to design my own version, but it's hard to simplify a steam engine enough to make it "easy" (by my standards, anyway) to build, while still looking good enough to be worth building.

Let me make a suggestion now though, since someone else probably will later. Keep the idea in mind of also making a Challenger as well, since all you mostly have to do is omit one set of drivers on each engine, as well as just shorten the frame and boiler. I have an extra copy of a Monogram p*****c kit that I plan to do just that with (someday, if I live long enough:cry:).

Scott K.
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

8. bclemens

bclemens Member

WOW! This is going to be fun!

oo OOOO OOOO oo >
  9. hmas

hmas Member

announce1 WARNING, Beware! Kooklik has gone beserk:razz:

He will be making us use paper piston rings on the steam pistons.
    Operating brakes, at least 1/48 scale people are around to climb in & build it for me.
    & individual bits of paper to make the springs operate, where will this monster end?
    Kooklik the track gauge for 1/48 (0 gauge) is 32 mm.
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Some strong words of encouragement from the train guys.... Great choice, go for it....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

We will be watching with bated breath.:wave: :wave:
  11. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Oh Cool!!!!
  12. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

This is something I can't wait to see...!!!
  13. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

man,and i thought building a steam engine in brass and plastic was hard! best of luck to ya' on this fantastic (and extremely tough) build.:thumb: :mrgreen: .--josh
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice!! Even the Gauge crew are coming over, nice one Kooklik!!
  15. N Gauger

sign1sign1sign1 Yeahhhhh We can smell a good lookin' train from 2 forums away :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

We're like flies on....... :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  16. hmas

hmas Member

Well there goes the neighbourhood sign1
  17. N Gauger

:row1: Remember - Everyone is welcome at the caboose thread... Please feel free to stop in and say "hey" :D

We love to hear what's goin' on around here... :D :D
  18. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

When I logged on this morning, I thought I smelled smoke coming from here. Figured one of you "card guys" left a glue gun going. Popped in to investigate.
    Didn't know someone was building a "Big Boy" outta paper.(Ohh...I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling).
    Had to check the U-Boat thread. If thats any indication of his work...This is going to be great. I'll have to keep watching this thread.
  19. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi to all
    Latest updated. The brake system. I spent most of my holiday to make understand with drawings. It still not completed yet. Remain 2 sets are not linked with brake cylinder.

20. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

WHOLLY SMOKES kooklik!!!:eeki::eeki::eeki: this is going to be AWESOME!!!:thumb::mrgreen:

:bravo: , kooklik, :bravo: , what an astronomical undertaking:thumb::thumb::thumb: .
    BTW, GOOD TASTE in picking a Union Pacific engine to model:winki::mrgreen: .

:deano: -Deano