Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/25 Scale (Engine)

kooklik

Hi tjlhw2005
Thanks for your kind words and following my project. The model is only 50% to be released. Still more than a year to wait. But I'll release in section (total 4) but I have not planed exactly yet.
Today I have a new page of the instruction to present. It contains the detail of pilot and air compressor radiator.
----kooklik----
Engine-245.jpg

tjlhw2005

Hi Kooklik,
Nice pictures, and thanks for your reply. But more than a year...Oh my god
Any way I do understand that is not easy to model so big a loco with so many details. I will keep an eye on you.
I bought the bigboy CD a couple of months ago, but I have no plan to model the bigboy at all.
There are a few drawings missing from the CD as I known, such as the bed(frame) of tender. I notice that you have already done that part, I wonder HOW you do that without the drawing? It's amazing, haaa~~
by the way, are you a railroad fan?

kooklik

Hi Kooklik,
Nice pictures, and thanks for your reply. But more than a year...Oh my god
Any way I do understand that is not easy to model so big a loco with so many details. I will keep an eye on you.
I bought the bigboy CD a couple of months ago, but I have no plan to model the bigboy at all.
There are a few drawings missing from the CD as I known, such as the bed(frame) of tender. I notice that you have already done that part, I wonder HOW you do that without the drawing? It's amazing, haaa~~
by the way, are you a railroad fan?

Hello tjlhw2005

I supposed you meant the original drawing CD from Union Pacific Historical Society.
The drawings in the CD covers all necessary parts for modeling. Include with the tender's frame.
The CD contained more than 3,000 drawings. But the CD provides a drawing list table in .xls file for quicker searching.

I'm not exactly a railroad fan. Once I saw Big Boy in a documentary program , I really want to know more detail about this mammoth engine.
After I started this project , more informations about the other trains came to my database. I think I am learning to be a real train fan. Especially the giant horses.

----kooklik----

atamjeet

Amazing stuff

:jawdrop: You are CRAZY Kooklik..... I am simply spellbound... I have NEVER seen something like this before.
I just want to say that this model of yours made all my models look so insignificant.
I am glad that I saw your stuff.. It is really a motivational stuff buddy.... :thumb::thumb:

tjlhw2005

hi Kooklik,
YOU ARE RAILROAD FAN ALREADY!!
Yes, the CD from UPHS.
The CD contain every part of the loco? But...
Could you tell me which PDF file is the tender frame, thanks,

Eric

kooklik

Hello Eric
The tender frame is shown in Erecting Diagram - Tender drawing no. CA28604.
It's rather difficult to read. Inner details are shown in dot lines. You have to refer to front and back views to create those inner details.

----kooklik----

kooklik

Hi all
Today I have more 2 pages of instruction to show. Still have a few pages to do to finish this section. I will start the back engine designing and unroll as soon as the front engine instruction are finished.
Cheers
----kooklik----
Engine-246.jpgEngine-247.jpg

tjlhw2005

Hi, Kooklik
Nice pictures and good progress.
Thanks for your information about the tender.
But I expected that the tender drawing could have full defined dimensions just like the back engine CA30916.

kooklik

Hello
New update for instruction. Page 16,17 and 18. Install the exhaust pipe , elbow joint (moving parts) , front run board with its stairs , head lamp and hand rails. I provide parts for modelers who wants to make it illuminate-able. 3 LEDs in the lamp. 1 for the main light other 2 for the side number plates. Modeler may skip it and replace the main LED with a small ball like a pin's head.
Cheers
----kooklik----

Engine-248.jpgEngine-249.jpgEngine-250.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

To say that this is probably the most impressive example of card modeling that I have ever seen would be a gross UNDERSTATEMENT! I totally admire your perseverance and your attention to detail. I never would have thought that a "Museum Quality" replica would be constructed out of card stock. Truly Amazing!!!!

kooklik

Thank you Cheeky monky and Jade Giant

Your sons would stick on you all time if you build this giant horse.
Say " Hi " to them for me , I'll do best for their papa to build it.

Cheers
----kooklik----

kooklik

Hello there
Finally the last instruction page of the Front Engine. Boiler Bearing and Centering Device are move able parts. So some points are 'No Glue!".
After long time I spent to the instruction. Total 19 pages 182 boxes. I will start 3D model detailing soon. Some details from Front Engine are common used with the back engine too. This could help me to do the back engine in shorter time than the front.
Cheers
----kooklik----
Engine-252.jpg

MAC99

this is a grate model with more detail then I thought could happen!! I was interested in the different scales 1/25 and 1/48

MAC