Unfolding features...

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Kugelfang, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

A few months ago I began writing a program to read in a 3d model in *.obj format, unfold it, and save it as a vector drawing in *.svg format. My goal is to allow you to view the 3d model, assign groups of faces to individual developments and indicate which edges will define how the model is chopped up.

The program is written in Ruby which means it will run on any computer that has the Ruby language installled. (Almost true cross-platform compatibility. Ruby installation is a snap.) The current state of the program is that it will read in *.obj files, and save *.svg. I've not yet tackled the unfolding and model manipulation but I'm close enough to think it will actually get done.

My motivation for this was simply that I can't use Pepakura on Linux. My intention is to release this program for free. So, my questions are... what should this program be named? And, what features would paper model designers like to see incorporated?

No garuntees, but just to prove it's not totally vaporware:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Kugelfang,

Well, off the top of my head, being that you are designing the program,
    and being that its software........how about KUGELWARE? or KUGELEDITOR,
    there is nothing wrong with taking pride and claiming your work, put your name on it.
    Be sure and post a claim on all rights to it within and on the
    also, and the standard
    disclaimer that you are not liable for any unforeseen damages and
    that the user assumes all liability for the use of the software
    In other words, cover yourself and your rights to it should you
    release it.
    Anyway, this is just my thoughts on it, I am sure that others
    will agree that since its a "fruit" of your labor, you should take
    pride in it and anything you do. Designing software is a gift, be
    it the result of many years of training or a natural talent.

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Not sure about a name, but when you need some testing doing, I'd be happy to help! Sounds like a Really Useful Piece of Software! Hey, Kugels Really Useful Piece of Software! KRUPS! There is your name!

Tim P

PS You aren't the first with this problem. Doesn't TWAIN stand for Technology Without An Interesting Name?
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice work!

Put me on the list after Tim. Have you looked at Ultimate Unwrap 3D? From what you have posted the user interface looks more applicable to the kinds of actions required to interact with objects to derive a "buildable" 2D surface....,

Best regards, Gil
  5. sbucher

sbucher New Member

I'd like to take a look at this too. I hope you post a notice when it's ready and for sale.
    Any of you folks ever try PSMTools?
    It's a work in progress attempt at a card modeling package.
  6. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Hmmmm... I'd never really considered working 'Kugelfang' into the name. I kind of like 'KRUPS'. As long as it doesn't get me sued by the coffee maker manufacturer. But then again, I drink so much coffee while programming that they should be able to give me a break ;-)

Thanks guys.

I will certainly post here once it's ready to leave the barn.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Kugelfang,

Well, when I first replied to your post, i forgot to place my name on 'THE LIST" so I am doing that now, before I get left out in the cold.
    Anyway, once again, good luck with the name.

8. Ron

Ron Member

If I'm not mistaken (I usually am though :)) KRUPPS was a major corporate powerhouse in Germany during the 1st and 2nd world war. Need another 'P'
    in the name :)?

9. charliec

charliec Active Member

10. LeeO Leng

LeeO Leng New Member

This looks interesting indeed :shock: ... may I voluenteer for B-testing :wink: