uneven track

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by xyzon, Dec 14, 2007.

1. xyzon

xyzon New Member

I purchased a train set last year and just got around to putting it up. The set came with the caboose, other non electric trains, track and other pieces. After setting up the track i noticed that several pieces are uneven, thus making the caboose jump off the track. I've taken a picutre. Can anyone tell me how to go about fixing this so that the train doesn't jump off the track? I've made sure that the track is joined propery and that it isn't missing the coupler. Thanks in advance. Michael

2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Unless the track itself is warped - each piece won't sit flat on its own - then it has to be the connection is not quite correct. In the photo, it looks like the far rail on the near track piece is not correctly inserted into the rail joiner. And the end of the near track piece appears to be suspended in the air. Perhaps there is something underneath the track not allowing it sit flat?

just my thoughts
  3. Santa Fe Jack

Santa Fe Jack Member

I know this is not going to be the case if all the track came from the one trainset, but could this be a mix of code 100 and code 83 track? Do the rail heights match? That is, if the bottom edge of the rail is lined up, are the tops out of line? If so, you just need to decide on one code and put the rest aside.
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

with that eztrack, it is possible to snap the pieces together by their plastic bases without getting the rail joiners alinged. In order to connect the track properly, both metal rail joiners (the little metal things on the end of each rail) have to be aligned, and then the track pieces pushed together so the plastic bases interlock. It looks like what you have done is slide the track pieces together without having one of the rail joiners aligned. Likely, this caused the rail joiner to bend, or one of the rails to separate from the base a little. If the rail joiner is bent, you can straighten it with pliers or purchase a new one from a hobby shop. If the rail has separated from the base, you need a new section of track, and your hobby shop should be able to help you there.

5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

In the picture, it looks like the rail joiner has moved back and is not even holding one of the rails.

6. brakie

brakie Active Member

Looks like the rail is sitting on top of the rail joiner..You need to take the sections apart and rejion the track making sure the rail slides into the rail joiner.
  7. xyzon

xyzon New Member

THANKS! You all saved me an very embarrassing trip back to the hobby store. As much as the track is "EZ" track, in my hastened excitement I over looked serveral places where the track joined. On side of the track fit into the joiner and the other side slid over top of the joiner. Thanks again. wall1
  8. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

You have to make sure that both rails are in the joiners. Don't feel bad, I do that once in a while myself, and I've been at this for over 40 years.