Under the Benchwork

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
So I have my dedicated train space - 19'7" x 13'7".

In the initial reno budget, we had included $150CDN for carpet underneath the benchwork to protect the hardwood from scuffing, scrapes, paint, et al ($0.56CDN per square foot, had the color already picked out).

However, upon review, the backing of this carpet was VERY scratchy, and probably would've done more damage to the hardwood than my benchwork. So I went and talked to a carpet guy and he recommended some stuff with felt backing - only thing is, it's $1.99CDN per square foot (i.e., we're talking $600+).

Not in the budget, no way. So I thought maybe somebody here had another idea - doesn't have to be carpet, but it should both (a) protect the hardwood; and (b) not discolor it (like rubber would in the long term).

ANY THOUGHTS ????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mike,

If you have nice hardwood floors it must be a nice room. Maybe you could use nice "furniture-style" legs on your layout.

Pretty%20legs!.JPG

(These are made from stair balusters and have a plastic "coaster" at the bottom.)

I don't know your plan but you might consider "shelves" mounted on the wall.

:)

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Mike, I build houses and yes carpet backing is very adrasive. One simple solution is to lay the carpet with the backing up, I know it sounds crazy, but I frequintly use carpet scraps turned backing up to protect new hardwood. It's just as soft to walk on and you can use a very low grade carpet and save a few modeling dollars. If you're really worried about looks, you can use standard carpet padding under it or anti-slip rubber mats that are used under area ruggs, but both are additional costs.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Well I think I have the most economical of all solutions, get a piece of carpet and cut pieces just big enough to fit under each leg support (about 2"x3.5") if your using 2x4's adjust if using different wood and hot glue them to the bottom with the good side down to protect the floor. As for the spills you can just use a good qaulity dropcloth when working and then remove it when done so you can roll your storage containers back underneath if that's what you plan on putting under there.Pat

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Mike,
I picked up an area rug like in Jim's photo at a flea market, still in good shape, for $5.00 it was 6' x 9' you would need two. Now that's well within the budget and if you ruin it, so what. Must save those hardwood floors.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike, I will give you one strong suggestion: Don't put off the carpet laying until you get the layout done. You will never pick it up to put the carpet under it.
Unless, of course, you're going to make it in sections so that you can clear it out to put the carpet down.

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
heres something different. were getting ready to put hardwood floors in and my layout is around the walls so i decided to build the bench work without legs. just a thought.

Attachments

• 100_0152.JPG
    100_0152.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 143

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Rich, you are doing the same thing that I have planned, although probably for a different reason. The framework will be 2x4s and the supports will go all the way to the floor. It should support everything I want to load on it. Had some shelves built in my shop that way and they held three console TVs plus a lot of other junk piled on top.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
60103 said:
Don't put off the carpet laying until you get the layout done. You will never pick it up to put the carpet under it.

This is really good advice. Wish I had read it before I built my 8'x11' "L" shaped benchwork in my basement. I initially planned on just leaving the concrete floor alone. I (read that as my wife) later decided to install carpet. I managed to glue down a 11' x 17' piece of carpet under the benchwork by removing one leg at a time. I do have to admit it is nicer, but what a PITA! :curse:
Doc

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I had my layout across one end of the basement, and we laid carpet up to the edge, where I had some panels. The fellow that bought my house said the cement floor was a good place for his workshop, but my wife was watching his wife when he said it!