Uncoupler Track Question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

What is the difference between these two? The black one is the more expensive of the two but near as I can tell from reading online, they do the same thing. Is there a reason Lionel made two different uncouplers? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The top one is a later uncoupling track. It also can be used with the side dump gondola and log car. They also used that type of magnet on the Leigh Valley operating hopper ramp. The bottom one was used and sold soon after the end of WWII. The bottom one is for the older cars with the small shoe on the truck that would rub on the short rail between the center rail and outside rails. They were for uncoupling and some operating cars, IIRC the refrigerator car that kicked out milk cans or the poultry car that had the guy sweeping.

3. Cannonball

Cool :)
    I just wanted to be sure that getting the less expensive of the two wouldn't foul up what little operations I'm going to have on the new layout. As long as it uncouples the cars then it's all good. :cool:

Thanks for the input.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

The top one, non-black will not operate / actuate slide shoe cars.
  5. Cannonball

No worries then. All I have to play with are magnetic couplers. :)