Uintah 2-6-6-2 or Micro Ace 0-6-6-0 Help

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
I'm currently in the research phase, trying to decide if I have the brass (no pun intended) to build a Nn3 Uintah Railway 2-6-6-2 Mallet.
The closest usable drivetrain for this project is the Micro-Ace 0-6-6-0 (Z scale). I found a thread in this forum with a review of the model, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
I have exhausted all the resources currently available to me, but still haven't found the information I was sent after. On another forum, I was directed to a post here about kitbashing the Micro-Ace 0-6-6-0 for use as Nn3 2-6-6-0/2/4 power. The thread, however, was lost in the board transfer and I searched these forums for 6-8 hours with no results.

Does anyone know where I can find the information?

Even if you can provide some good keywords for a search, you'll be helpful.

Thanks

N

nachoman

are you looking for info on the uintah engine or on the Z scale chasis?

Kevin

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
I'm looking for information on A) building the Uintah Mallet from any donor chassis, or B) building any articulated loco from the Micro-Ace chassis.

But the original reason for the post was to find a thread I was told was here on the guage. It was about using the 0-6-6-0 chassis to build an articulated 2-6-6-0 / 2-6-6-2 / 2-6-6-4.
Although there is a lot of information for mild kitbashes in HO and O, I need Nn3 information. This, of course, leads me to Z guage and N scale.

Edit: Thansk doctorwayne for your help. That's not quite what I'm looking for though.

garth

May 21, 2007
Niagara Falls
www.nn3.ca
Nn3 Unitah Mallet

The Nn3 Alliance published a book on all things Nn3 called the "Nn3 Handlbook and it is available from several sources. One of the engines they describe building is the Unitah 2-6-6-2T.

I do not think the Micro Ace 0-6-6-0 is a good starting point as the wheel diameters and axle spacing are too large for this Narrow gauge engine. The closest articulated engine that might work is an 0-8-8-0 made by Marklin but you would have to loose one axle from each truck. The article shows how to use two 0-6-0 Marklin chassis to build the Unitah engine. It was also covered in an Article in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette.

regards
Garth

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
Howdy Garth,
Thanks for the info. It's quite coincidental you replied yesterday.

Just yesterday, I received a package from Ted Brandon. :-D He and I have been emailing for a short while now. He sent me quite a bit of useful information on the mallet.
Since Ted took a lot of the engineering questions out of the mix, I think I've found my own way of creating headaches on the project. I'm going to try to get my hands on a Marklin 2-8-2 and the Marklin 0-6-0 to contemplate swapping drivers or driver sets. The 2-8-2 has the correct driver size, but wrong axle spacing. The 0-6-0 has the right spacing, but under-sized drivers.

I still need to pick up the latest edition of the Nn3 Handbook, but I now have the previous edition and a copy of the 5th edition of the Nn3 Manual (1989).

Also, Garth. Thanks for keeping your website up to date. It served as my sole reference point for narrow guaging my Bmann 4-4-0. (still undergoing a tender scratchbuild for remotoring)

Alright, time to dig up the Marklin drawings and figure out how much of a headache I want this mallet to be....