UHU02 X-Wing Build Thread by nero_on_fire

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nero_on_fire, Apr 27, 2016.

1. lyter1958

lyter1958 Esteemed Member

looking great. turning out better then mine..
  2. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Oh, don't worry, this is no contest, I will have a major error sooner or later. I'm already struggeling with my UHU glue (get it? get it? :laughrolling:), and there parts right now are kinda huge compared to the parts following later. Glue strings are becoming my worst enemies, cause the paper UHU02 recommended makes scratching left over dried glue off impossible.
    lyter1958 likes this.
  3. bigpetr

bigpetr New Member

If you do not tried already, try not to let the excess glue dry completely before remooving it. It works nice for me.
  4. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Working on parts 65 to 76 right now, the 4 inner covers for each wing. Now having this, not sure if design error or my own fault, although I did exactly like shown in the instructions. Gonna leave it as is and later do the dry-fitting to see if it matters or not. Lucky for me, it can easily be cut off.

Shown is also the brand of markers I use to color the edges. It is the most white grey available and is perfect for the grey used in the X-Wing. I have several other shades of grey (no pun intended), but mostly I use this one. The markers are alcohol-based so the ink will bleed a little bit, but depending on the parts, it makes the corners look weathered, gonna show pictures of this later.

@bigpetr Yeah tried so, but using UHU glue has the big advantage of drying fast and the big problem of it drying fast. Excess glue has to be swiped of immediatly and will most likely leave a residue and glue strings are so thin they will dry the second they hit paper. Just gonna try and be more careful now, switching from the glue I'm used to mid-project would probably be a bad idea and cause more problems then handling the current problems.
    Tonino, zathros, bgt01 and 3 others like this.
  5. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

It does dry clear, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)
  6. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Ok, after doing all 4 of the above pictured parts I realized I have put the back part of it upside down. This also explains the white stripe being too long. Should have made the dry fitting with the first part and then build the rest :(

Gonna do these again :realmad:
    lyter1958 likes this.
  7. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Finally have build the 4 wrong parts again and fitted them into the X-frame.

Now doing the wings, including the inner tubings and decorations. The part pictured last is the one that had me close to breakdown. Getting tiny fiddly tubes through tiny fiddly holes are my new object of hate.

7.jpg 8.jpg
    Tonino, zathros, lyter1958 and 4 others like this.
  8. lyter1958

thumbsup. thats why i had mine enlarged. rolling little tubes is NOT my thing...but it's looking GREAT !!!!
  9. lyter1958

i wouldn't want to get into a building contest with anyone, cause i know that i'd come in almost next to last (i hope:)) . i like using Elmor's glue. dries fast enough for me.
  10. bigpetr

bigpetr New Member

Sometimes it is nervewrecking to tangle with little parts, but I am more nervous when I am gluing long edges, to make them nice and clean without glue spill, and glue sometims dries on me too soon ..., Arghhh :).
    Nando, zathros and lyter1958 like this.
  11. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Nero, your build looks so crisp and clean, just keep on doing what you are doing!! ;)
    nero_on_fire likes this.
  12. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Soooo, the X-Wing section is finished and I will continue with the body structure.

I had some minor problems but nothing what couldn't be fixed with a sharp cutter or some more glue ;) Sadly, as you can see in the pictures, the wing doesn't fully close anymore due to the layers glued in between. I'm not sure if I could have avoided this, but even if so, I would have at the very start when building the front and back link of the wing, and even then it would have been just a guess.

Since I'm planning to create a diorama for the X-Wing and it will be presented as opened wing, this wont be a serious issue.

This will be the last update for the next two weeks, as I will relax my troubled mind in a vacation with the girlfriend.

Foto 14.05.16, 12 48 41.jpg Foto 14.05.16, 12 49 03.jpg Foto 14.05.16, 12 49 21.jpg Foto 14.05.16, 12 49 32.jpg Foto 14.05.16, 12 50 09.jpg
  13. Tonino

Tonino Member

This make me feel a little UHU02-hungry ! ! ! !

Great work! Your cutting is extremely precise.
  14. bigpetr

bigpetr New Member

Nice work, great cutting skills.

Enjoy your vacation, it is good to take rest from modeling from time to time:)
  15. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I am impressed with how clear, clean and crisp everything is. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
  16. lyter1958

looking really great.
  17. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

Brilliant, you're doing a fantastic job and would make UHU02 himself proud! ;)
  18. McCoy

McCoy Member

thats a cool looking project!
  19. Jadriancz

Jadriancz New Member

Nero, I have to say that your cuts are pristine!
  20. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Small update (literally!):

14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg
    Gandolf50, bgt01, zathros and 4 others like this.