UHU02 Gotengo

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Nice Radial Engines!! This is going to be one Heckuva model! Thanks Gixergs!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Radial Engines ae amazing. I was honored when an 80 year old master machinist, also an A&P, asked me if I would help him. It was amazing to see this spin, with the covers off. It had no throttle., only a mixture control. It had a selector that was round, and the arrow, with the handle knob on it, just turned sparks plugs on and off, and you could select which ones were to be one and off, so you could have 3,6, or 9. This was to keep the engine balanced.

It was this plane, a 1928 New Standard. You would not believe the ride he took me for. Pilot sits in back, 4 passengers in front. One leather strap across the two passengers!! First time in a Bi-Plane. Fantastic machines. I flew in that plane 7 times. From what I understand, they cannot gives rides anymore, hopefully that has changed as the plane has been restored to better than new condition, this was in the engine, where modern material was used for the bearings. New bearings are better than old ones, new "good" bearings, that is. ;)

This is the actual aircraft:

New_Standard_D-25_(N9119).jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Only a couple, 2 or 3. These are the oldest flying aircraft in America. The Bleriot is an original. The site s a National Historic Landmark. All the vehicles are original, including one of the oldest electric cars in the country, On Saturdays, they have an old style "Barn Stormer" show with wing walkers and all kinds of acrobatics. The amount of original aircraft in the storage buildings, alone with engine are incredible. :)

Tonino

I live too far from those wonders! :(

Excuse me @Gixergs we are going a little off-topic here, but I love old aircrafts, the Zero-engine turned on my fantasy.......... and @zathros did the rest

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I almost got my hands on this Eastern European 5 cylinder Radial, but my wife was really against it..... Seeing how good the last 27 years have been, I should have purchased it. She would have been mad only a day or two at the most.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Amazing details, and like you stated, the research boggles the mind! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Can't find the words. Revell-Fan does come to mind though. Very similar design technique. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting. Small people models may be in order.