ugly table 4x8

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
As you may not know, or may know, I am 18 as of october, so I still live my parents. Ive had this 4x8 for awhile, i might need to get a new one it might be all bent, i need to see once i get all my p[arents JUNK off of it!!!
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3130/img3270wo7.jpg
yuk!!!
then also my parents spilled paint of something and didnt know and it dried up, its like half an inch thick lol....i tried chipping ot off but its ripping the wood off lol...
http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/6793/img3271ea8.jpg

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
That's no way to treat a train or a layout. How would your parents like it if you spilled paint on their dining room table and just left it there. I think it is time to have a heart-to-heart with the parental units.

Good luck, and it may be time to start over again. . . . .

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
lol nooo, its my future layout, its blank lol nothing on it, im going to just turn it over and use the bottom i think after i clean it off...

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
From the looks of your picture it might be time for a garage sale. Tuning it over is probably the best thing to do but make sure that you adda frame to the bottom to keep the layout straight over time and scenery building.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
lol, we had a garage sale a month ago, they didnt sell any of it, most of it wasnt even for sale, they kept all of it, before winter break is over its going to be clean...im going to yell at them lol

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
No it is not like a styrofoam cooler. That stuff tends to be hard to work with. The stuff you are looking for is called extruded foam. It is used in building houses for insulation.

Lowes or Home Depot carry the extruded foam. It is in the pink or blue variety. . . unless you live in the desert southwest. I understand it is hard to find there.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
eightyeightfan1 said:
Looks like my workbench.

Yeah, mine too! :) Lots of modelers use the blue or pink foam as a layout base. You can carve into it to create below the track features as mentioned by Chris above and you can take chunks of it to create hills and mountains as well. Its become a popular technique over the last few years.
Ralph

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
prodigy2k7 said:
do most people use that? or should i just lay my roadbed ontop of the plywood

It has become very popular. Search this site for extruded foam or insulfoam for more information on its uses in model railroading. Also, search Google for more information on the product itself.

There are different styles for how to use it. Probably the most common is to just lay it on top of the plywood the same way the plywood is laying. But I've seen people stand it on its edge like books on a shelf, or cut it to a diagonal like you often see rock formations where roads have been cut through hillsides.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
ya, im like half way done cleaning my parents garage, see my 4x8 underneath? lmao ya thats my goal to uncover it!
Im going to buy another one and put the new one on top with spacers inbetween to run wires under.
pic2ta9.jpg

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Boy, I hope your parents don't come driving up, tell you thanks and park their car in there after you finish cleaning it all up.:curse:

You didn't JUST find the dog's dish, did you?.:D

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
LMAO, thats the cat's dish, my mom put it there and my cat knows to get its food there...hmm that dang cat better not jump on my layout once its done lol...i better add plexy glass around the side or something

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Yeah, it's better to untrain the cat now. They have a nasty habit of not listening, or caring, until a projectile motivates them. It may be benificial to put up a small shelf for the cat's dish to help keep the cat away from the layout area, plus your mom will like not having to bend down to pick up the dish and the cat will love you for it too. :thumb:

You'll still have to put up the plexiglass. You can't stop a cat, they'll wait until you are gone.:D