UD-4L Dropship from Aliens

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snyperkitty, May 12, 2007.

1. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

Just completed my fifth build...the 1:148th scale UD-4L Dropship 01 from the second Alien's movie...designed by Jan Rukr. This was a joy to build. Jan uses amazing textures. If you're not familiar with his work, you're missing out. His site is definitely worth visiting. Next project is the same scale APC, then likely the landing pad. One of my all-time favorite movies, so it must be done.

I'm finding out the hard way about the importance of the right paperstock. I printed this on much too lightweight a stock, and as a result I get some "sag" in the upper missile launchers. I have a rig in mind, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

This model can be found at http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely_gb.htm along with lots more great stuff.
  2. RedChico

RedChico New Member

Those missle launchers at the middle are all wrong.:confused: :cry:

But good build anyway.
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

The UD-4L is still under construction... how did you get it?
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Nice work

Hey there,

Thats some great work, I could see ahead of time that the missile pods wouldnt be too much for the supports so I managed to glue a thin piece of florist wire along the leading edge of the supports. I think you might still be able to do it with little interference.

Otherwise great work, will you be continuing with the other parts? I have an A3 printer and scaled everything up to 1/100 and printed it out and built it for a wargaming friend.

John John
  5. cjd

cjd Member

'The UD-4L is still under construction... how did you get it?'

Its available under 'Hadleys Hope' - Aircrafts & Vehicles

Nice build

6. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

The missles are fine. There are 2 positions, open and closed basically....
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Very nicely done, indeed.
  8. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Haven't looked at Jan's Aliens section lately, but if IIRC, the 1:148th scale version matches the rest of the Hadley's Hope models. There was originally a much larger version (1/48th?) Jan was working on, that's the one that isn't available yet. As for the missile launchers, they are built correctly per the kit and instructions. It looks to me like Jan made a mistake in the design of the optional parts, and made both sides symmetrical, that is, he didn't allow for the arm on one side being offset so the launchers could fold. Should be an easy fix, if anyone wants them to be "correct". (BTW, had mine for 4 years now, but haven't built one yet, so I never noticed that before.)

Scott K.
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Hey Scott

Im not sure what Redchio's eye rolling problem with the kit is, the build is great (Well Done) or the design, but by folding the Starboard pod then the port there is a chunk in the Port support that allows the starboard pod to fold perfectly in place. They dont fold over straight, they fold ove and forward into behind the intakes.

I believe that the bigger Dropship is meant to be 1/24....big enough for the APC to fit in the bay.

The guy is amazing...Ive been at AutoCad for 6 months now...I can draw a box...sorry I exggerate I can draw a square...working Landing Struts, pods...next lifetime maybe

John John
  10. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Sorry, John. Even as I wrote that, I was thinking "Jan made a mistake??" Didn't think so! (I was picturing my little Micromachines version) Next time I'll just keep quiet until I've built one myself! Jan's skills ARE amazing. I have more recent versions of the same programs he does, and I can't come anywhere close to the quality of his work. (How DOES he do that with PSP 3.1??)

Scott K.
  11. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

I like the florest wire idea to support the pods...or I could take the easy way out and fold the pods over...I've checked and they do fit. The front two pods are glued in place though, so it might not be very authentic.

It looks like the 1/24th scale dropship is almost complete (95% as of Jan's last status). That model will include moving parts...sweet.

I downloaded all the Hadley's Hope items, but my wife's jaw dropped when she saw the pictures of how big it would be, just with the portion Jan completed. I told her it was like those Christmas village collections that get bigger and bigger every year. Somehow, people find room for them...so I'll find room for this. It could be worse. I could be building a papercraft gerbil maze, with paper gerbils.
  12. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

@ Scott K. please dont worry, Its not a sorry, just a note as to how amzing Jan is....

@ Snyperkitty
    Sorry to break the bad news but the dropship @95% is still only a 1/148. Its a repaint and upgrade of the diroma ones.

Ok Im off to the Pub

John John
  13. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

That is a really great build. I found the model to be a bit too challenging for me. I tried 2 or 3 times and just couldn't get the pieces to fit together well. Your build has given me some inspiration to try again. Thanks for the pics!

BTW, how did you make it so shiney?
  14. Snyperkitty

Snyperkitty New Member

Doc Harvey,

I did find it a little difficult at some points to figure out what the process should be, and there are some minor issues with transposed numbers, a couple tabs that were "missing" on the print.

I spend a long time before I even make the first cut studying the instructions and the pieces and try to come up with a game plan. That was especially helpful on this build. But I do have to say there was some luck as well. If I had taken a different path, I would have probably found myself grumbling