Ucav Edi

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Moorkey, May 17, 2008.

1. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

Hi all.

Have just finished a build (in Flight Sim Deign Studio) of the UCAV EDI from the film 'Stealth'. Now, I intend to take a next step and build a real flying model.

Now, I need to build a card model of the UCAV to use as a reference piece for drawing/modifying the plans.

I have attempted to use Pepakura to translate the model, but the program either says it has too many sides, or the result is hopelessly (as in completely undecipherable) complicated.

Are there any alternatives to Pepakura, or am I just doing it wrong?:confused:
  2. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

You may need to first simplify the mesh in a modelling programme such as Metasequoia. You can also use that to split the structure into separate and more manageable modules - wings, fuselage etc.
  3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Tony's right. Would you mind posting a pic or screen capture of the mesh you're using?
  4. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

Attached Files:

• uke.jpg
      File size:
      88 KB
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Seems like an awful lot of compound curves..... but I dont know squat about designing :)
  6. Master-Bruce

Hey man that's impressive! It does have some curves but I don't think they'd be too bad. Depending on the intended size of the final model that is.

Good luck and be sure to post progress! ;)
  7. Paladin

Paladin Member

You know, if you could just get the fuselage front done, (meaning the cockpit), you could try taking a look at the paper model that was released on a Japanese Sony website some time ago. I don't know if the model is still available there, but I can send it to you. It isn't very complicated, but the front cockpit area sucks. That part doesn't look like the movie model at all.
  8. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

Thanks guys

I have the Japanese paper model as of this morning, and the cockpit / scramjet intake really isn't that good. May have a shot at modifying that one should mine fail.

The planned dimensions for my UCAV (well, the paper one at least :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:) are:

300mm length x 200mm span x 50mm height (wing tip to air intake apex)

Will keep you posted on my progress.
  9. Master-Bruce

Sounds good! 30 cm was the length we chose for the X-Jet Claudio and I did. It's a good size.

Will your model from the mesh you have become available to everyone? Also, where did you find that mesh. I've looked for one in the past but have been unsuccesful.

Looking forward to that progress.
  10. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

I downloaded the Stealth screensaver from here:

Sony Pictures - Stealth (click downloads, screensavers, and then the saver on the left.)

Then I took a screenshot of the screensaver, and imported it into FSDS v3, and built it. It, so far, has taken me six months to get right (that's the Microsoft flight sim version. The basic mesh I am using here took about two months to finalise.)

When the model is finished, I will post it back here. After all, you guys have been a great help.
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The mesh looks fine. You just have to play with the layout for flattening. It should make for a great card model when you have the textures in place.
  12. Master-Bruce

I agree! This jet has been discussed for a while here. People asking for one to be designed or if one has been done(a good one anyway).

I'm sure this will make lots of people happy! :D

Looking forward to seeing more. ;)
  13. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hey moorkey! that edi/ucav looks great are you gunna texture your model? i've just finished making the one from sony and i'm beginning to modify it to try to make it better. But yours already looks 100 times better than mine:( anyways great work:D:thumb:
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

If you need any movie screen shots from the movie. I think my cousin has that dvd.
  15. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

Am already texturing it for MSFS 2002. Will attemt to convert them for pepakura.
  16. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello moorkey, i was trying to figure out how to design the model in paper and i came across an idea. what if you build an internal structure first using formers and then for the curverd parts you can lay precut pieces on the frame so that the complexity of the plane wont be lost. it would be better instead of using pepakura because pepakura makes the models all boxy and stuff.

ARMORMAN Guest

Having done the Talon, I disagree. It's how you import/export to/from PD that makes it boxy or not. Having said that, I do have formers in the main fuselage of the talon and I do agree it would be a good way to go.
  18. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

oh true...i see. i just didn't know how to smoothen out the curves on pepakura. i was just thinking that if we create the curves in the same technique as making the hull on a ship, then it wouldn't be so bad. plus it would provide more support for tinier complex parts like a cockpit (i'm thinkg somewhat like a halinski format or something). also i was wondering if anyone can provide better orthographic drawings of EDI. i would like to try the method out by scratch building.
  19. Moorkey

Moorkey New Member

Would any more screenies of mine help? (NB they would be wire frames)

Also, what is the best way of importing to Pepakura?
  20. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

yes! thank you very much...is there anychance that you could make a front, back, side, top and bottom view please? the wire format would be very helpful (like the kind on the screensaver)!! thank you soo much!:D if i do get this model done i'll send you a scan of the formers and covering strips to help you with your flying model:smile: