Uberusel engine model curiosities

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Larry Marshall, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Hi,

I'm trying to finish up an example of Richard's fine Oberusel engine and I'm confused. First, I believe that there is an error in the part coding on the 3View and that parts Q are actually parts P on the parts sheet as it's parts P that look like rocker arms, not parts Q.

But what I"m really curious about, and I'm sure it's because of my newbie knowledge status, is what the heck one is supposed to do with the two-toned rectangles with the apparent slot in them to turn them into a rocker arm drive rod? My intention is to use wire here (heresy?) but I'm sure there's some knowledge to be gained by asking how to create them from the supplied paper parts. Richard....are you out there?

Cheers --- Larry
  2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yep, it looks like a mix up to me.

By the way welcome ot the boards.

Getter 1
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Larry,
    Yes the letters are backwards.
    The parts with a gray box; Score the line in between the colors, on the back side of the part.
    You can mark it by stabbing a small hole with the tip of the exacto knife through the paper at each end of the line.
    Cut out the whole two toned shape and fold in half.
    Glue together and let dry.
    Cut out part.
    This now makes your part twice as thick and colored on the back side.
    I too may replace the rod with a thin wire I picked up at Michael's.

4. Richard

Richard Member

I did indeed mix up the part coding, had not even noticed it myself.

Russell, thanks for pointing out how the pushrods are supposed to be assembled.

When assembling my third and fourth engine for the Eindeckers I found out that if you use thick enough paper there's no need to double up the pushrods and you hardly notice the white sides on them. You could use a silver marker(sorry, forgot the name) to colour them.
    Replacing the pushrods by thin pianowire is also an option.

5. I just noticed that I misspelled Oberusel in the title of this thread. Sorry about that. The evidence that I'm getting old is mounting :)

[sound of hand hitting forehead] Duh...a doubler, just as for the hub rings. The different colors just provide the proper back back color for the rod. One of the things that always excites me about a new modeling medium is how much there is to learn. It's also one of the frustrating things :) Thanks, Russell.

Cheers --- Larry
  6. <grin>...it takes someone who is naive enough to look at those squares (the parts labelled to be the rods) and try to figure out how they're supposed to turn into rocker arms to notice, I guess.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers --- Larry