UA Turbo, That's the one I want!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by CN1, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Blake

Blake Member

Yes CN1, they are my photos. Feel free to download them for yourself. If you want to post them elsewhere just credit me as the photographer. You're right, it is quite sad.
  2. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Thanks Blake. Any more?
  3. Blake

Blake Member

Nope, that was the last frame of the last roll I had that day. Figures.
  4. CN1

CN1 Active Member

To the risk of repeating yourself, do you remeber when that happen? Date?

5. Blake

Blake Member

It was the winter of 1984. That's as specific as my memory can recall.
  6. CN1

CN1 Active Member

7. weestan

weestan New Member

such a sad ending

Hi, just saw your thread, and to answer your question, they were retired in 1982 and sent to the states for scrap, such a shame that nothing was kept in a museum or preserved in other ways.
    I have the N-scale version of it, it still works, and it was made by Bachmann.
    I just wished it would of been in better shape, I didn't appreciate for what it was at the time, but it is repairable now that i can appreciate it better.
    Maybe Rapido will eventually make an N-Scale version in time.

Attached Files:

8. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

blake could you repost your pic, it is not working, i have been always curious about this train
  9. galt904

galt904 Member

Partly true, it should be here later this year finally, and in RTR, not resin kit! Check out the website, there's some video and sound clips of the model there!
  10. ironhorsejohn

ironhorsejohn New Member

Record holder? I don't think so!

Sorry CN1, but the North American (USA, Canada and train Mexico) speed record has been held by New York Central RDC-3 number M497 since 1966! It was modified with two General Electric jet engines. In July of '66 it made a number of runs over a week or so on ordinary track between Butler, Indiana and Stryker, Ohio, eventually reaching a top sustained speed of 183.85 mph!

After these tests were conducted the jet engines were removed and M497 returned to regular commuter service. The whole project--a high speed passenger service feasability study--cost around $30,000.