U.S.S. Simon lake

Z

Zathros

I am helping a young person up in Alaska by designing this boat for him that his father served aboard. He started out with drawings, but did not have sufficient reference material. I decided to take on the project, so, we'll see how it pans out. It took hours to find the reference material, suitable enough to use as reference material, and I have spent 2 hrs. preparing and scaling the first 3rd needed to do the Hull in Adobe CS3. This is where I am after working way too late into the night. This attached drawing represents about 45 minutes worth of work on Rhino from start up. I hope to proceed at a better pace. It should end up a 1/20 scale, and be 32.2" inches long.

Attachments

• R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 19
  • R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 11
Z

Zathros

Resolved some hull issues. Hoping to finalize the hull soon. Trying to be productive! :thumb:

Attachments

• R9.jpg
    R9.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16
  • R10.jpg
    R10.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
Z

Zathros

Working on Deck details.

Attachments

• R11.jpg
    R11.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 45
  • R12.jpg
    R12.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
Z

Zathros

It wasn't till after I loaded the last 2 pictures I realized there was a mismatch between the deck and Hull. It is fixed now. :)

Attachments

• R13.jpg
    R13.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
  • R14.jpg
    R14.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
Z

Zathros

Starting the Superstructure.

Attachments

• R15.jpg
    R15.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 23

peter taft

John, this is looking very VERY nice indeed... I'm coming round your house so you can show me how to work this magic :cool: If Only ! Carry on the great work, and i hope all went well for you yesterday. Take care.

Z

Zathros

Peter my dear friend, all is going quite well. SO much so, I shall keep hoping for the worse!! Time will tell, but supposedly, I am supposed to be in really bad pain right now and I am not, I hope that is a good sign! :)

peter taft

Peter my dear friend, all is going quite well. SO much so, I shall keep hoping for the worse!! Time will tell, but supposedly, I am supposed to be in really bad pain right now and I am not, I hope that is a good sign! :)

Hey.... fingers crossed you go from strength to strength John, the BOSS is looking after you :thumb:

Z

Zathros

Bits more.

Attachments

• R17.jpg
    R17.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9
  • R18.jpg
    R18.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 18
Z

Zathros

Little more. Completely new Hull.

Attachments

• R22.jpg
    R22.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8
  • R23.jpg
    R23.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 45
  • R24.jpg
    R24.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

More bits. Plodding along! Because of the hand drawn blue prints, there is a guess on some parts. As actual dimensions aren't given, I have to copy off the blueprint, the machinist in me cringes!!

Attachments

• R27.jpg
    R27.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 50
  • R28.jpg
    R28.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 9
Z

Zathros

Some cranes and Booms, chaka laka!!

Attachments

• R31.jpg
    R31.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 16
  • R32.jpg
    R32.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 21
Z

Zathros

Just by posting in this thread means you are on the list! Due to recent events, my build threads will be here now. I have taken a temporary hiatus from building as the storm did much damage to my house and with Winter coming, I have to button the place back up. It is not dead yet though, not by far! :)

morfydd

Am very interested in this project ..wanting a model of the simon lake in 1/350th scale to go with the other modles of ships I have that I served on in my career in the navy

Z

Zathros

Sat on my hands on this for a long time. I am getting Rhino3D 5.0 next week. Maybe I'll have to take a gander at it again and see what can be done? :)