U.S.S. Reliant, Cantaris' Vulture, and Shiftdel's Shadowcat - musings of a newbie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by think-floyd, Jul 20, 2008.

1. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

Well, I've been lurking around for a while, and haven't started any posts myself yet, but I thought it was about time I shared some images of my latest projects, and some of my observations as a newcomer to card modelling.

I first found my way into papercraft not so long ago, when I downloaded a compendium of some Warhammer 40k documents and tutorials etc. As I browsed the folders, I came across one which contained templates and card models of some of the vehicles. I thought "wow!, that's pretty amazing", and googled it. After a short while I happened upon zealot, and in particular, Flarebaffled's Warhammer 40k armor thread. I've been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff that's available, and the scope of the hobby. Maybe papercrafters are a naturally reclusive bunch :)

Well, I've been delighted to find that some of my old passions are well represented, like Star Trek, Anime, cars, architecture, and of course, HUGE-ASS ROBOTS!:rofl:

I recently opted for a small laser printer, as I never had a reason to print colour, and ink is so expensive now. Boy am I kicking myself :v8:
    I am happy enough to print in black and white though, and even though the spec of the printer said that around 100GSM was the heaviest paper you could use, I have had no problem printing on cardstock that I found locally. The difference between 80gsm laser paper and cardstock is vast, in both ease of build, and finished result. I would urge anyone who is using a laser and is unsure about heavier paper to try it out. (that's not an acceptance of responsibility for broken printers though sign1)

My only problem, and disappointment, is in the way the laser toner can smudge. Initially i found that the skin on the tips of my fingers had a slight reaction to either the toner or the pva (most likely the toner - never had a problem with pva before), so I've been more careful not to let myself smudge the print since. Maybe I'll opt to pay and have some stuff printed at a copy shop in future for stuff i want in colour.

Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings. On to the pictures!

USS Reliant Cardstock, black and white with colour detail in pencil.

Mechwarrior 3 Vulture by Cantaris Paper (~80gsm)

MW 4 Shadowcat by ShiftDel Includes optional detail pieces. Paper (~80gsm)

Not very sci-fi, but I've been making these little guys in work for my friends hehe, the ladies all seem to like them!sign1 I've got the yamaha panda sitting on top of my monitor at the office hehe.

Well, that's all for now, I've taken up enough of your time! Thanks to everyone who has designed the wonderful models that I've built and will build in the future. I'd love to hear any comments, hopefully my builds meet the designers approval :D

2. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

The Reliant was the 2nd model i built
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Nice Reliant :) ... I got halfway through building that one before I spilt half a mug of tea on it. Be warned...large amounts of tea do not improve the finish!

I never had a problem with laser print smudging.... but I did find it tended to crack on the folds. I've stuck with ink-jet printers since.

Glad you liked my Warhammer stuff .... there will be plenty more of that for you to build in the future too.
  4. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

oh yeah, I didn't post any of yours up yet! I've got the valkyrie done, almost, turning out pretty well. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.
  5. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Hey great builds you'd done, so f

Very nice shadowcat, I like to see it built again, incredible that I didn't build one for myself, as I started this modelling stuff because of it :D

You did a great job on Shadowcat legs, I guess they are the most difficult or boring part of the model to build ;)
  6. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

Thanks for the comments :)

When i first built the shadowcat, I found the hip joints were very flimsy, using the little cubes from the optional parts. What i did was take the legs back off, and using a thin scalpel, cut a circle out of each layer from the legs and the eh.. pelvis. Then I rolled a tube which was long enough to go from the outside of one leg through to the other. Pushed this through the whole lot, and it has really stabilised it.
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

That kind of tinkering, modifying and playing about with models is what I enjoy most about this hobby. The models are free, and only cost hte ink...so you can afford to experiment to improve or re-design things where with a shop bought plastic kit, it gets pricey if things go wrong!

Immense amounts of fun can be had from a few sheets of paper and some ink :thumb:
  8. Welcome to the hobby. I really like the care and detail you put into your models. Keep up the good work.