U.S. Landmarks

FauxNews

Jun 9, 2006
St. Louis
Are they made? If there is a line of German Castles, why isn't there a line of national monuments etc? Or am I missing something?

Specifically I'm looking for the St. Louis Arch, or Mount Rushmore, though I don't think I'll find any luck, I've already had to make a custom built "Cadillac Ranch" which mainly consisted of buying some cadillacs at Target and sawing them in half....

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well... The thing with those monuments is that they are BIG.

The Gateway Arch at St. Louis for instance would be 8 feet tall when modeled in HO scale. Mount Rushmore would be similarly big.. The casual modeler wouldn't have room for those on a small pike.

I think the easier way of doing that would be to paint it into your backdrop.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Love the Cadillac Ranch idea. Post a pictue if you can! Can't say I've ever seen models of any of the famous landmarks (with the possible exception of the Empire State Building as a 3-D puzzle) but I do recall a article long ago in Model Railroader in which a modeler created a whimsical Mt. Rushmore from plaster castings. Are you doing a Route 66 theme?
Ralph

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the arch could be made at a scaled down size out of sheet styrene.must be out of touch the only Cadillac ranch I rember hearing about was a high priced bordello.:)

spyder62

Sep 21, 2005
Salem,Or
jim currie said:
the arch could be made at a scaled down size out of sheet styrene.must be out of touch the only Cadillac ranch I rember hearing about was a high priced bordello.:)

No, that was the Mustang Ranch just east of Reno Nv. :)
Never was there when it was open :eek:ops: but would be a good model as it was the only U.S. Goverment run bordello ever, that was after the IRS took it over for back taxes.sign1
rich

sdduckguy

Jan 23, 2005
Sioux Falls SD
I did try and model Mt Rushmore on my layout. I'm VERY loosely modeling Deadwood Dakota Territory and tried as an amusing chronological anomaly adding MT Rushmore. I found a resin cast statue on ebay that's about 6 in long and 4 in wide. I built a steep mountain out of layers of 2" foam and embedded the faces at the top. It's totally out of time context and scale, but with a little imagination about forced perspective it works. It sits proudly overseeing the layout from one corner.

Done by a proud South Dakotan!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Ralph said:
Love the Cadillac Ranch idea. Post a pictue if you can! Can't say I've ever seen models of any of the famous landmarks (with the possible exception of the Empire State Building as a 3-D puzzle) but I do recall a article long ago in Model Railroader in which a modeler created a whimsical Mt. Rushmore from plaster castings. Are you doing a Route 66 theme?
Ralph

The Cadillac Ranch is on route 66 in Texas. A rancher there started buying old Cadillacs and burying them nose down along the highway with the tailfins in the air. There are probably 6 or so Cadillacs buried in a row.
www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAcadillac.html