U-Don LM kit to make appearance on Mythbusters

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Dyna-Soar, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

On August 29, the Discovery Channnel will air the Mythbusters' Apollo Hoax special.
    In the episode , a massively upscaled version of the U-Don LM kit will be used as part of their tests. It appears at about 46 seconds into the video.

2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

WHA... WHA... REALLY???!!!

AAAAAAAAA!!! bounce7
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I'll bite; how do you come by that interesting bit of inside information? Is it mentioned in the full segment? If so, how can I be one of the illuminati who get to see Mythbusters episodes before they are aired. I am beginning to feel envious!

I watched the teaser you linked; did I miss something that linked their model to U-don?
  4. willygoat

willygoat Member

How awesome! the meeting of two of my favorite things. Mythbusters and card models:mrgreen:
  5. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

If you look closely at 0:42 you'll see instructions laid out that are identical to the udon kit instructions. I could be wrong though. Still, if it was, this would be as cool as the Currelle graphics SS1 being flown on the real SS1 a while back.

SEBRET Member

This is just awesome! I love mythbusters. Card modeling really is helpful in many ways. lol
  7. Hans Christian

Hmmm... What myth will they bust with this model?... :twisted:

Its Discovery Channel versus Fox TV!!! :-D
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is neat. It does look like some familiar sheets laid out at the 00:42 mark. It would be great if the credits at the end of the episode mentioned the source of the model. :)
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

GIANT U-Don LM Model

They´ve built quite a convincing set but they didn´t get the harsh side lighting exactly right.
    The giant U-Don LM model looks really cool, with golden alu foil and all. I have to finish my 1:32 scale model one of these days . . .

Bengt :thumb:
  10. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Yesss!!!! Mythbusters 5, moon conspiracy theorists zero!!!!!
    Now hopefully people will open their eyes and see we really landed on the moon.
  11. Hans Christian

BUSTED!!! :twisted:
  12. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Lies! Lies! All lies! It is a government conspiracy to fool the masses into believing the impossible has been achieved! The MythBusters are professional special effects people. They can make anything appear to be real. Everyone knows that if someone actually made it to the Moon and back they would be covered in cheese. Where is the cheese? It just doesn't cut it. There is something smelly about the whole thing. It raises my curds to see such a waste of time and money. Hah! NASA always trying to present it's self as being squeaky clean. :p stooges8 ;-)

That was pretty neat when they used the Vomit Commet to simulate 1/6 gravity. The movements of Adam in the space suit was very near right on. The photo of the astronaut on the leg of the moon lander was impressive as was the shadow demonstration. The flag waving in a vacuum was impressive too. But you and I know that as long as someone can make money out of claiming it was all a hoax the conspiracy theories will never go away. wall1
  13. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I was about ready to go off on you, but I was relieved at the ending paragraph. So you are a normal person, okay. Crisis averted.

Ya I also found their techniques clever but most of all incredibly decisive. They provided undeniable proof that man landed on the moon. We must especially thank Apollo 15 for leaving behind retro-reflectors so we could fire lasers at the moon and back. That was undeniable proof that man had to have gone to the moon.
  14. Hans Christian

conspiracy theorists: no Lucas, aliens left those retro reflectors as a collaborative effort between ETs and NASA...

whew... the world will never run out of morons like them...

we may expect a revisit of this one requested by them fools...
  15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Ya know what Hans, you are right. No wonder Speilburg made ET shortly afterwards, And you know what? I heard if you play "ET phone home" backwards, it says "There were no men on the moon." Oh I love putting myself in a low standpoint of view. haha.

But i agree, we will probably see another revisit, or they are going to just dicredit this info by saying it wasn't exact enough.

In one of my opinions, the man who first claimed after Apollo 11 that the landings were faked (he was the former NASA engineer) I think he just tried saying that so he could get a free ride to the moon as proof that we really did go.
  16. davelant

davelant Member

One comment I have touches on the theory of perspective; I beg relevance in that it might be helpful in the construction of a forced-perspective diorama. It turns out that it is actually difficult to create a picture where the pictures of the shadows are parallel. When the light source is at infinity, shadows on a plane only appear to be parallel if the camera film or sensor was parallel to that plane when the picture was made. Normally, the film plane is near vertical, and the ground is near horizontal, and you get something like this:

In general, any set of lines that are parallel in the real, 3D world, unless they are parallel to the plane of the film, appear to converge to a vanishing point in perspective. Not "the" vanishing point, "a" vanishing point. A vanishing point exists for each direction in space. A jumble of books and venetian blinds illustrate this.

This leads me to wonder if something about their setup, such as the proximity of the light, resulted in the parallel shadows in their first attempt, perhaps deliberately to add to the drama.
  17. lancer525

lancer525 Member

In one of the hundreds of books I've read on the lunar landings, I read a passage where Harrison Schmitt had written that the closest thing on earth to lunar dust that he had ever seen, was the dust left over from completely burned charcoal. The same kind of whitish-grey dust you get after you've cooked burgers on the 4th of July. That dust is what the Mythbusters needed to use.