U-Boat Type VII C 1/72 Scale

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

I keep telling myself (or more importantly, my wife keeps telling me) I already have enough kits to last me until the second coming, but for this kit I can easily ignore both voices. I would buy this kit just to look at. Don't rush...but then again, don't dawdle either.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What the heck???!!!???...

*looks at big eyes spyglasses*

*remembers size of 1/72 scaled military figs*

Kooklik. This thread is quite entertaining. I can't wait to start seeing some textures being laid down on this.
  3. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Kooklik....this is truly inspiring. I mean it.

I've only built two naval paper models and they were so hard and finicky and almost blinded me I swore it would be a long time before I did another. The MINUTE you release this model, I'm getting it and building it. OK, maybe not quite that fast, but I will definitely be buying it and giving this beauty the attention it deserves....plus, I like big models like this one, even though I'm running out of space.

Fantastic work.
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Darwin,Stev0,Hot4Darmat and all
    Thanks for all kind words. I am so happy to know that you're enjoy my report.
    Today I tried to build 2.0 cm Flak platform guard rails. It's quite difficult to build. So I made a frame to hold and form all parts together then glueing piece by piece with super glue. The rail is strong enough for light twisting/bending when fine adjustment.

I was so excited when put it on the platform. It looked so good. Now the rail is white painted. It's still wet. I'll assembly tomorrow.

Best Regards

View attachment 12320
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That jig is pure genius. What did you make the rails out of? Copper wire it looks like.

6. kooklik

kooklik Member

Yes , diameter 0.8 mm of copper wire.
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Did you just glue the wire together? I don't see any solder joints.
  8. David H

David H Member

Woo solder, sespect!

9. kooklik

kooklik Member

No , I just used super glue for joints.
  10. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

put the jig in that fantastic kit!
  11. Maharg

Maharg Member

kooklik, if you anneal the wire before bending you will loose the angular look to the rails.
    Your work of art should be soldered, otherwise from my experience if you try to manipulate it, the joints will seperate. :)
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

:???: A question to Maharg

Thanks for your advice. Does the heating from solder make bending angel changed ? I've never soldered for model building before. But sometimes on circuit board. I was afraid that the rail shape might be damaged by heating.

13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

As a Metallurgist I would say heating generally does not make your metal parts 'spring back' ;)

And, are the wires are going to be painted?
  14. kooklik

kooklik Member

To Nezard
    OK I may try soldering for next one. Thanks for your reply.
    I used color spray for coloring the rail.

View attachment 12365
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot man! That railing looks pretty darn good to me.

Soilder if you want, but if it works/looks good I would not change a thing!

Just my opinion.

16. Maharg

Maharg Member

Not enough heat to distort your angles, make sure the joints are clean and dry though.

@john I agree totally 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' :). But CA used in this type of situation after some time will become brittle and fail.
  17. kooklik

kooklik Member

I adjusted 3 angles softly. A joint broken but easily fixed. I think , if bending shapes are fine from the beginning , manipulate is not much required.
  18. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I'll second that one John. OMG!!!! Looks good.:grin:
  19. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Kooklik, I know I've said before, but got to say it again AMAZING.

Do you charge for railings? I need about 5 meters. Just kidding.
  20. paper-toys

paper-toys FOUNDER OF PAPER-TOYS

Incredilbe, Great Work!