TYCO Chattanooga Choo Choo problem

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by segdmd, Sep 28, 2006.

1. segdmd

segdmd New Member

New to model trains. My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine, so I got out my old Tyco Train(Shattanooga Choo Choo 0-8-0). I put the track together and tested it. I get a current through the tracks and the power supply is functioning properly. When I put the train on the tracks nothing happens. If I put a direct current on the tender(motor) it works. The question is when I know there is current on the tracks and I know the train works, why won't the two work together?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi segdmd,

Welcome to The Gauge...

The problem is likely dirty track and wheels from all those years of storage. If the track is brass (likely, but if could be nickel-silver, aluminum or steel), it is probably oxidized, which means you'll have to clean it. You can us a variety of methods to do this -

"BrightBoy" - an abrasive eraser type cleaner, sort of like sanding the tracks. It removes the dirt and oxide by scraping it away. It works well, but some claim that it makes the track more prone to future dirt build-up by creating scratches in the rail.

Alcohol - wipe it on with a paper towel. Cleans well, leaves little residue. Better for dirt, not so good for oxidation.

Metal polish (various brands) - works well, as this is what it is formulated for...! Just be sure to get all the residue off.

You can clean the wheels of the engine, and any electrical pickups that might rub on the wheels or axels in the same fashion.

Once this is all done and clean, the engine should run well.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

3. alexander

alexander Member

dirty track or wheels i'd say
  4. CNWGP38

CNWGP38 New Member

It is a Tyco! after years of not running, it died. Go on ebay and buy a good Athearn for 20.00, clean your track and you should be up and running.
  5. segdmd

segdmd New Member

The track is steel. I will try to clean both the track and the wheels.
  6. alexander

alexander Member

if it is steel, then, polish it daily. but i still reccomend getting nickel silver track
  7. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

Was the electrical pickup, drive wheels, and motor on the TYCO Chattanooga 0-8-0 located in the Tender?

8. segdmd

segdmd New Member

Everything is located in the tender. The wheels on the engine itself only complete the circuit.
  9. desertdrover

desertdrover New Member

I have the same engine. One side of the tender picks up power from the right rail and the other left side. The center wheels have a rubber band around the wheels, over time they dry out and become warped. You my find your engine does not set down on the track to make connection. Thats why it works when you pick it up and test power to it manualy. I think you will find this to be you problem. Hope it works for you.

10. segdmd

segdmd New Member

Well I got the train to work. :thumb: You will not believe what the problem was. Evidently the motor slides out of the bottom of the tender box. I had never taken it out until yesterday to clean it. I noticed when I ran a current through the tender and engine, the only time it would complete the circuit was when I had both wires on the left side wheels. At the time it didn't make sense, but I dismissed it. It wasn't until desertdrover mentioned that the tender picked up a current on the right side that I released at some point the motor had been rotated and re-inserted in the tender box the wrong way. It runs like it just came out of the box. Thanks guys for the input. My new problem is that I can't keep my two year old son away from it. He can't get enough of the train. sign1